Serpent Start eating my Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schellenberg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone... ltr, ftw.
I have a red serpent star, feasting on first a flame angel, and now going after a maroon clown... I am segregating him from the tank now, but am a little shocked at his behavior after having him for about 4 months... any ideas to what might have caused the sudden aggression?
The only change I have made recently is adding about 20 hermit crabs...

tank mates:
1 yellow tang,
1 maroon clown
2 percula clown
one dead flame angel...
sea cucumber,
sea urchin
misc snails / hermits supporting the 180 gallon...

80 pounds live rock. 80 pounds agrocrete....

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

The only serpant or brittle stars that are known to be fish predators are the emerald green ones, however, my fist suspicion would go towards the star being hungry.

The only change I have made recently is adding about 20 hermit crabs...

Both are scavengers and compete for food.

Darn... The simplest solution is normally the correct one... Humm... what changed: I am going away for a wek, so I upped my clean up crew... therefore, there is less food for all teh scavengers... so they make their own food... Makes sence... thanks a lot for the quick reply...

Toss him a piece of shrimp and see if that helps. Mine devoured a hermit that died. He ate the whole thing. He had a huge lump for a few days until he digested it all. Every time I throw some blender mush in the tank you can see him pick up the scent immediately. His arms go wild.

Jim

So I should try feeding them directly for a week or so? Think that makes sense... I am still trying to convince my wife that we shouldn't get rid of them... I think they are really neat, and I too have seen their arms go wild when I feed the tank... Perhaps that is all... they are just hungry.
Thanks for the help.

If there is not enough food for the scavengers that they are trying to eat your fish...then you either need to feed them directly or you need to remove the star.

Back
Top Bottom