Set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started the new tank lastnight!! A couple of questions - how long does it take for the water to clear? And when should we start testing the parameters?

Started the new tank lastnight!! A couple of questions - how long does it take for the water to clear? And when should we start testing the parameters?

May take up to 24 hours to settle. What do you have as an ammonia source to start the cycle? Uncured rock, table shrimp or pure ammonia dosing etc etc?

If your running a sump I would put a filter sock on the drain line but keep the power heads off until it settles.

You can wait a few days before you start testing but depending on the size of the tank, your set up, amount of live rock and sand, what your using for ammonia source, etc. you may have a fast and small ammonia spike...if your not monitoring it you may miss it. I'd say no more than 2-3 days before you start testing, even if it's just testing the ammonia to start

Test as often as you like, the more the better you get at it and your water will be ok, hopefully! Should test once a week after your cycle! But as mentioned, we need more info? Do you have LR? LS? Was it dry or wet and cured or established? Those are the questions we need to know in order to take you in the right path

It's 55 gallon with live rock and live sand (aragonite). I do have 1 table shrimp in it right now for ammonia. I don't have the powerheads or skimmer turned on right now. I have an external power filter too.

It's 55 gallon with live rock and live sand (aragonite). I do have 1 table shrimp in it right now for ammonia. I don't have the powerheads or skimmer turned on right now. I have an external power filter too.
Power heads "ON" ASAP and don't shut them off, it's your life line!!!!!!!

The powerheads are not necessary during the cycle. You can have them on if you like though.

We'll that's what I thought. That's why I didn't have them on. ???

I would run them regardless. I've never turned mine off unless I'm feeding.

x2 fishless or fish-in, powerheads are beneficial to circulation and IMO it would cycle better with powerheads on, maybe not the skimmer, just powerheads and filtration for water polishing just my $0.02 (y)

Thanks for the help! The tank has been going for abt 48 hours now. We just did our 1st testing.
PH 8
Ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 0

Back
Top Bottom