Set Up Advice/Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, for starters, I've been doing FW for 15+ Years, but this will be my first soiree into Salt Water.

Previously I had 30G, 29G, and 10G FW tanks, recently I combined the under-stocked 30 and 29 and put those into a single 55Gal, so now I have a 29 and 30 that are being unused.

My plan is to take the 30 Cube and take my first trip down Salt Water Lane. Here's my set up so far.

Tank - 30 US Gallon Cube: 279.25 sq in SA
Filtration - Magnum 350 with BIO Pro 60.
Skimmer - Bak-Pak 2
Substrate - Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand (Should I change this to one that will help buffer PH?)
Live Rock - Yes, but how much do I need? I plan on purchasing it from the LFS, so I shouldn't need to cure it, correct? Also, since I'm adding this to a fresh tank with no fish, even if it does need to be cured, this can be done during my cycle?
Lighting - Standard ATM, will upgrade after cycling.
Salt - Instant Ocean

I'm not wanting to go nuts with the tank. In other words, I want it to be something I can enjoy more than fiddle with after the initial set up head aches. I only plan to have a couple of clowns, possibly a domino, and a star. I might eventually get an anemone, but that's not certain yet. I've spent time reading both here, and the Krib and it seems like I should be good to start my fishless cycling once the Filter and Skimmer get here.

What else do I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Your going to want more water movent than the Bak-Pak2 and the Magnum is going to provide. Probably want a PH or two, something in the 250-300GPH range.

You can keep the sand if you want. I know afew SW folks who have the black moon sand like you have.

I would shoot for at least 45 lbs of live rock. Depending on their density you might be able to use up to 60-70lbs. Your going to end up paying a high premium for getting it from your LFS. You can get higher quality rock for much less by goign with someone online like http://www.liverocks.com Curing the rock is no problem with a new setup since you can cure the rock in the tank as part of the inital cycle.

The 30 gal cube woudl be great with a 250W MH expecially if your going to go reef later on.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Your setup sounds fine. As always fishfreek has offered great advice. No need to run your skimmer during the cycling phase. It will not hurt things to do so, but there will little benefit to the tank. Pick up a good book on SW tanks as well. I like "The Consceintious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Good luck in the set up!

So after reading a few more posts, I might not need the Magnum at all? Instead use a PH, LR, Skimmer set up?

Back
Top Bottom