Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Set-up for a humu trigger and snowflake eel tank. Few ?'s

Ok, i have a 75 gallon tank right now and i want to set it up for a humu picasso triggerfish and a snowflake moray eel. I know any smaller fish and crustations would become food. i know it might be a small tank for these two fish, but i will probably upgrade when they get large. I have done some reading up on both fish and found that both are messy eaters and the moray will probably only eat once a week, which is good b/c i can just do a PWC the day after i feed him.

I plan on getting 90-125 lbs of live rock, i have 2 heaters that i am currently using in my FW tank, a glass hood (morays are escape artists) a about 2wpg t-5 lighting. Besides live rock, what kind of filtration should i use on these two species? Should i go the sump rout? Or would a canister filter be best? I am thinking that a sump would work out good so i could put the heaters and a protein skimmer in there so the trigger doesn't bit them (I hear they bite at everything.)

Any opinions would be helpful

Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have a dedicated predator tank with 3 eels and a grouper. My snowlake is an old guy over 12 years old. They are fed every other day.

I would go with a sump and get a good skimmer. I would get as much liverock as you can afford. I have 300 lbs in my 110.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am confused with sumps, i have a spare 20g long that i could convert to a sump, but what modifications would i have to do? Also, the wet/dry filters at pet stores with the blue bio balls... could those be used as sumps/fuges ?(taking out the bio balls of course) I am pretty good at DIY kinda stuff, but at the same time, i want the best quality... i dont want to make something that is going to fail on me.

I am also confused about sump flooding. i plan on using a HOB overflow since my tank is not drilled, would i need to worry about flooding?

also, anyone that has a humu picasso trigger, how long do you think it could be happy in a 75g with only a snow flake eel as well?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any one keep Triggers around here?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you do not want to drill the tank then I would just go with a couple canister filters. I do not trust hob overflows. As far as I am concerned, the trigger and eel can coexist for many, many years in a 75g as long as monthly, better yet bi-weekly, water changes are done. The trick will be hiding equipment, which could be done with an hob filter.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are there any good HOB overflows? because I wanted to use a sump so i could put the heater, skimmer, more LR and maybe even a fuge for some macro algae. If i go with canisters, wouldnt i need an intank or HOB skimmer?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I have used HOB overflows for years and have never had any issues whatsoever. Both my eel tank and my anemone tank use this method, as did the coral farm before them.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Could you recommend me a good HOB overflow?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

something like this would do well...but I remove the sponge filters on mine and do the filtering in the sump end.'

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-OVERFLO...em120146365565

Tags
eel, flake, humu, set-up, snowflake, snowflake eel, tan, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com