Setting of Reef/ Fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s peterson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am interested in setting up a 75 gallon or a 120 gallon marine tank and have read a few books and advise on line about what type of filteration and areation I need. I went to Fins and Feathers in Richmond and the guy said all I need is a Bio Wheel and a protien skimmer with live rock. I read one book that says I need a fluidized bed filter, a canister and a protien skimmer. I read on line that I need a fluidized bed filter and a protien skimmer. What do I need? How much live rock, sand do I need. Do you need a substrait filter to allow the sand to work. Any advise will be greatly apreciated.
Also, can anyone recommend a good place in the richmond area or on line to get livestock, filters, etc?

Take a look at our central VA regional forum for references in the richmond area.

As far as what you "NEED" your correct everyone has an opionon on what is NEEDED and what is not.

What kind of tank do you want to setup? A fish only tank? A fish only with live rock? Or a Reef (corals and such)?

That will help us tell you what we feel is the essencial items.

For a beginner I would say a skimmer is #1 on the list. A good skimmer.

I see no need for a canister filter or a bed filter.

As with anything else in this new field, I am having trouble figuring out what I want or need. I want a tank with fish in it and coral in it. What is this called? Some other questions
Do I need a RO system, or can I treat the tap water?
What type of lighting do I need? MH, VHO or PC.
I have seen from this site there are recomended skimmers (Aqua C Remora Remora Pro, or the CPK Backpack.
Do I need to use just live rock or can I use fake coral as a filer with some live rock?
Do I need to use all live sand, or just mix in some?
What about UV?

OK DOKIE.

Now we have established a little better what kind of tank you want.

For a tank with fish and corals then I would suggest using a sand bed for your substrate. This is refered to as a DSB. If you can find some "southdown" or "yardright" sand from home depot then you just saved yourself a ton of $. You want enough sand to give you 4" of depth in your tank.

I would also suggest 1 - 1.5lbs of live rock per gal.

When picking a tank. Pick the tank with the largest surface area. I cant recall the differences between a 75 and 120 but I think the 120 is going ot have larger surface area. If it does and you can afford it then get the 120.

Your lighting decision is going to be the hardest. Do you know aht types of corals you want or desire? Many corals are medium to low light while many others are high to very high light needy.

UV in my view is one of those 'extra' items that is not NEEDED but some people will swear by them and say they would not run a tank with out them. I personally ran a UV and when i went to replace the bulb found it to be broken. Thus i discontinued using the UV since i never knew when it had blown.

I am not entirely sure what type of coral I want, so I probably need to get proper lighting for almost any type, unless there are draw backs from having two much light. I like the idea of having an anomie for a clown and the proper shrimp. I guess I could get decent lighting and stick with the species that will work with the lighting I have. LFS has a 120 on sale with stand and canpoy for 625. I thought this was a good price. If I get the sand from Home Depot do I still need to introduce live sand as well. Do I need all live rock or can I use fake and some live rock.

So what I am down to is
Tank
Protein Filter (either Remora or CPK)
Lighting (not sure what type)
Sand
Live rock

Do I need a RO?

The house I am buying has city water as well as a well for irrigation. Is the well water a better solution. I guess I can test it first.
BTW. I am a recent transplant from Houston, so I am still learing the Richmond area.

One final thing. I am a avid saltwater fisherman and catch croker,etc. in the chesapake. Can I feed my fish pieces from my catch?

I know this is alot of questions, but I need all of the help I can get. Trying not to waste money.

Back
Top Bottom