Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2003, 07:56 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I always find it ironic that we keep these tanks because it is relaxing and peaceful, when the exact opposite is true inside our aquaria. The reef is a violent place and Darwinism is alive and kicking in our tanks

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
So your saying that SPS and LPS can both be softies? Then how do i know from pictures on the internet, Im thinking of purchasing some down the road and just wanna make sure what im getting thanks for the info guys, also how do you frag them?

Old 07-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

As a geral rule soft corals do not have a hard skeleton, they are soft.
As a general rule, LPS corals do have a hard calcerous skeleton, but have very large polyps.
As a general rule, SPS corals have a hard skeleton and have very small polyps.

Soft coral

LPS Coral

SPS coral

Soft and SPS coral courtesy of ReefLady's photo album.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reeflady, that is a great picture!! My money was on the green one, you can see the monti bleaching out or whatever.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:22 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Fragging SPS usually entails breaking a small piece off the colony and attaching it to a rock or reef plug with gel type super glue.
Fragging soft corals...most of them...entails cutting a piece off the mother colony with VERY sharp scissors or a razor blade. Super glue usually won't hold these as they produce too much mucus and will undo the glue job. I usually use bridal veil and super glue to strap the cutting to a rock or plug. Another method is to put the cutting on some coarse substrate and let it attach on its own. You can then glue the substrate to a rock or plug.
LPS is different in many cases...pretty much depends on which coral you're working with. You can break a piece off of a torch coral and relocate it in the tank...it will grow. If you break a bubble coral, you will likely damage the polyps and open the door for infection.
My 10g reef had a 3" sandbed, about 20lbs of LR, a Lee CC skimmer, and two MJ400 PH's. I started with NO lighting and graduated to two 36w 50/50 PC's. Like Hoops, I did about a gallon a week water changes...sometimes 2 gal. I had an assortment of snails, hermits, and one brittle star. Also had one fire shrimp and one ocellaris clown. Tank was very stable and did great until the chihuahua knocked the heater plug out and the temp dropped to about 68* one day. That was the end of the clown.
In retrospect, I probably didn't need the 3" sandbed...and possibly didn't need the skimmer. It did pull a good bit of gunk out, but took up a lot of room and was pretty ugly. Water changes would probably have taken care of things just fine. JMHO.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
WoW now i know why my girlfriend hates it when im on the computer the whole time.....its because of this site and the AWESOME info that you give! Thanks reefrunner for the pics and explanation. I have ordered more books for my collection that i have And plan to have ALOT more in a month or so..I am educating myself more and more each day. This is now my homepage and i plan for it to be for many years to come! Thanks everyone!
Old 07-19-2003, 06:18 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooyferret
I have ordered more books for my collection that i have And plan to have ALOT more in a month or so..I am educating myself more and more each day.
This is the key to the whole thing. Keep doing that and before you know it, you'll be answering our questions

Tags
10 gallon, reef, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com