Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 02:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Setting up 10gal reef help plz..

Im setting up a 10 gal reef and was curious about how to set one up. Nevr done anything this small...Give me some advice plz. Mostly going to be LPS.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Can you be more specific? There are lots of ways to do it. Most nano tanks rely on water changes instead of an elaborate filtration system and additive dosing.

Old 07-17-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, for lighting I want to suggest the 96 watt coralife hood, I have only heard good things
Old 07-17-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My 10g reef is pretty simple. I used 1" of sand an then about 15-18 lbs of LR. The lighting is 2x32w Custom SeaLife retrofits. I don't think I would have a problem with adding LPS corals at all. The 96w hood would be great, although I am not sure how much heating would be a factor from the small amount of water volume. I think you would certainly have to use a fan as my setup reaches up to 84 quickly even with central air. Other than that I just use a Maxi-jet 400 for water movement along with a Penguin Mini. Water changes are a gallon every week or two weeks.

As for the LPS corals themselves, my experience is limited to only Euphyllia sp. While being characterized as "aggressive", I have found the branching varieties at least to be very tolerant of each other, with no instances of sweeper tentacles. Chemical warfare is unknown. My only concern in a 10g would be that they can and will get much larger, quite easily to the point where you will have to frag them to keep them from overgrowing the confines of the tank...keep that in mind. Also, with a small amount of water volume, you could very well have to drip kalkwasser or some other form of calcium maintenance to keep up with the use by these corals.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
well to be honest with you guys im not a expert on corals i know a little about them but i still cant understand the difference between SPS and LPS?? I know what they stand for just dont understand how to differ them apart from each other. Which corals are the ones that wave with the water current LPS? SPS are hard corals right? My plan is to kinda do it like Hoops and use a penguin mini with a small PH.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LPS have the larger polyps. Investing in Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals will pay itself off many times over in educating you on corals and their proper husbandry. It really is THAT good!
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
corals can be aggressive?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Which corals are the ones that wave with the water current LPS?
The corals that wave most with the water current are soft corals (Xenia, Colt, etc.). LPS include Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn, Bubble Corals, Fox coral. Torch & Candy cane, etc.

SPS are mainly the Acroporas, Montiporas, Bird's Nest, etc. etc.

Quote:
Extremely so. They battle for territory by excreting toxins, stinging each-other, etc. I've got a pic of a Green Acro and a Orange Monti battling in my tank - give me a sec to find it....

Also - a lot of softies, mushrooms, and polyps are notorious for chemical/toxic "warfare". These can be some of the worst.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Here you go:

I had to frag the Orange digitata to get it out of the way. The Monti. is always the loser in this battle.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Definitely, and explained very well above. Think of corals on a reef as being just like fish, they have to protect their territory and potentially gain more to ensure their, and their offspring's survival.

Tags
10 gallon, reef, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com