Setting up 29 gallon, lookin for advice on equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I am thinkin I will be going with alarge aquaclear filter and turn that into arefugium.

I have found the lightin I want, 130W power compact with moonlighting.

Will be using glass tops on the aquarium instead of a full hood

Now, I still need a skimmer, but most of the skimmers I have been seeing are made for tnaks up to like 200 gallons and all, seems like it would be a bit big, and that I would be payin for alot that I dont need.

Also, I have 2 powerheads in my 10 gallon, but I continually have problems of them becoming unsuctioned and falling ot the bottom of the tank, the other option would be to use the clips to attatch them to the top of the tank, but I want flow that isnt concentrated at the top of the tank, what are some other options? nozzles, hoses, etc, that I can use, and some suggested pwoer heads for a 29 gallon tank (the only filtration type will be the aquaclear, the skimmer, and then the live rock, with pwoer heads for most of the wter movement)

I am setting up a 30 gallon reef at the moment so am going through most of the same questions as you!

Two skimmers that I have heard recommended several times for tanks this size are the CPR Bak Pak and the Aqua C Remora. They are rated for bigger tanks (up to ~60 gallons) but there really aren't any good smaller skimmers. I just got a Bak Pak but haven't run it yet so I can't tell you how I like it. One suggestion if you're tight on money is to see if you can get one on ebay, that's what I did and got a good deal on one from someone who was upgrading his tank to one bigger than the skimmer could handle.

I have the same powerhead issues in my 10g FOWLR. Since I'm upgrading I never really dealt with it but someone posted an idea to solve the problem a while ago. They suggested supergluing the magnetic tank glass cleaners to the PHs, that way they stick and stay where you want them. Sounds like a good idea, and one that would be simple to implement. That said, I think most people have their PHs pretty close to the surface anyway to set up some surface turbulence for good gas exchange.

Good luck with the tank and post pics!

Hmm.. never thought aobut the idea with the magnet cleaners, think I could use a smaller cleaner magnet than the one rated for that tank size? It wont exactly be pretty, but if I place the PHs in the right place, they shuld be pretty much out of view.

I iwll look up those recommended skimmers, thanks much

I have a setup very similar to what you are talking about (29 gal with 130W PC lighting). I have been very pleased with the coralife skimmer (the 65 gallon size). For right now, it is running HOB but I intend to get a sump together shortly and it will be moving at that point.

I have the AquaC Nano Remora on my 29 gallon. The Nano Remora is a few inches shorter than the regular Remora and it also has a smaller pump. It works great on my tank though. If it's any indication of performance, I don't have any detectable nitrates.

Jarred Darque said:

Be careful of this as it will cause lower PH readings due to poor gas exchange at the surface.

melosu58 said:
Jarred Darque said:

Be careful of this as it will cause lower PH readings due to poor gas exchange at the surface.

really? thats very interesting. so what do you recommend that one use to prop up the light fixtures when not using a glass hood?

Most PC fixtures I have seen have legs that sit on the tank lip and keep the light off the water. I have a 48"pc fixture that I started with that had legs kept it almost 6" off the water.

Yes most have legs to prop them up. I always suggest using eggcrate instead of glass tops because of the PH problem.

On my 29 gallon, I have the Remora skimmer, I love it! Also have the 130 watt PC fixture, which I like too.

I'd also nix the glass top for heat issues too. Much heat can get trapped under it. Not so much an issue with a PC fixture, but still there.

Back
Top Bottom