setting up 30 Gallon FOWLR help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nameless01

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay hey guys. Im starting up a 30 gallon FOWLR soon but just wanted help and tips on what I need/ how I should go about it.
I have the 30 gallon tank, I have a 150 watt heater, a marine land penguin 150 biowheel filter, and I will be buying a test kit, a hydrometer and a power head, I'm not sure which one yet but do you guys recommend any specific one? I'm not sure if I can use the power filter or should I go with something else? when I set it up I will order 45 lbs of live Fiji Rock to cycle Saltwater Live Rock for Marine Aquariums: Fiji Standard Live Rock
and 40 lbs of sand 40Lb Bahama Aragonite sand (shipping included)(*All sand ships USPS priority mail*) - MarcoRocks.com Store
is this good sand? or should I just buy some live sand from petco or something. is that enough sand? is this enough or too much live rock? would that be a good set up? am I missing anything?

Looks good, on LR & LS, powerheads are improtant, as are test kits. Thought of lifestock yet?

Looks good, on LR & LS, powerheads are improtant, as are test kits. Thought of lifestock yet?

nothing yet. any suggestions ? I also have an understanding that I should have a clean up crew? what do you guys consider for this too?

Clownfish are a favorite, stay away from damsels with the exeption of the chromis, royal gramma, kauderns cardinal, firefish, clown goby, etc. stay away from tangs of any kind and angels. They may look cute, but you dont want a fish that belogs in a 180+ tank. Heres a good resource for tank size. Good luck!

Liveaquaria.com

Clownfish are a favorite, stay away from damsels with the exeption of the chromis, royal gramma, kauderns cardinal, firefish, clown goby, etc. stay away from tangs of any kind and angels. They may look cute, but you dont want a fish that belogs in a 180+ tank. Heres a good resource for tank size. Good luck!

Liveaquaria.com

thanks a lot! How about puffer fish? are there any that would do good in my tank size? I know 30 gallons is pretty small in the saltwater hobby, some may even consider that a nano so I know there's not that much of a selection.

For the sand... out of those 2 options.. id go with aragonite sand. You would want it to... generally speaking... get the sand around 1.5" - 2" deep.

I would ditch the hydrometer and go for a refractrometer.. pretty much the same price but more accurate.

Puffers get to big for the most part. I had a dogface puffer in a 100 gallon and that was pushing it. Check on liveaquaria.com for tank size, because they have good size recommendations. Anything else, let me know!

I'm not trying to be negative, but if you can afford it get a much larger tank. The bigger the tank, the easier it will be to keep the water parameters stable, you can obviously stock it more, and the weird thing is that aquariums are like TVs, they seem to shrink after having them a while. I have a 65 gal. and I am now fantasizing about a 300 gal. Sad but true!

thanks a lot! How about puffer fish? are there any that would do good in my tank size? I know 30 gallons is pretty small in the saltwater hobby, some may even consider that a nano so I know there's not that much of a selection.

A Valentini puffer or a leopard puffer can be in a 30 gal

A Valentini puffer or a leopard puffer can be in a 30 gal

But that will be almost it. They will eat any inverts, for the most part. If u want a puffer, then the valentini puffer would be what i would do. With maybe a pair of clowns to go with it.

But that will be almost it. They will eat any inverts, for the most part. If u want a puffer, then the valentini puffer would be what i would do. With maybe a pair of clowns to go with it.

that's what I had in mind or maybe a dwarf lionfish and pair of clowns.
what I be able to keep some kind of clean up crew with either the puffer or lionfish, cause I read they will eat dhtp and crabs and such

I would only keep large snails (turbos) or large hermit crabs.

Back
Top Bottom