Setting up 40 gal reef 24x24 short custom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey again, got a new aquarium, 40 gal shallow custom 24x24 reef, with overflow box.

I'm using a 10 gal sump tank - question, can I put most of my live rock in the sump?

I'm using a Rio 2100 pump for the sump - it BLASTS the water out of the overflow box powerhead outlet.

I also have a maxijet 900 on oposite corner, there is AMPLE water flow.

I have my heater in sump.
I have my CPR bak pak 2 in sump.
I'm using debris catcher and chemi-pure in overflow box.

Am I missing anything? I have about 60lbs of LR (most of which is in the sump) which is my main question, is this okay to do? and does it require lighting? I have no critters in there, that I know of.

Edit* Forgot to ask, where can I get a check valve for my pump to tank hose? I've been concerned about this because of california power outages...and I have no check valve :x

It is fine to put your rock in your sump. It will still give you all of the beneficial effects as it is in the system's water flow. This is a great way to add live rock without restricting on swimming room.

If your Rio 2100 is a bit overpowered, you might want to consider adding a ball valve on the return to restrict the flow if necessary.

The Live Rock doesn't require lighting, and not providing lighting for it will eliminate the algae issue.

For the check valve, it depends. If you hard plumbed it, check your local hardware store. I have found Lowes was the best option with smaller PVC piping. For soft plumbing, an online vendor may be your best bet. I don't have a check valve on my 210 with sump. I didn't add one because I didn't want it to restrict the flow in the return. If I lose power to the pump, the water level goes up in the sump, but I monitor the water level to ensure it doesn't rise so much that it overflows the sump, which it never has, even with two power outages.

A small 1/16" hole in return just above the water line. Will stop the backflow into the sump. When the pump is running it's below the water line, when the pump stops the water in the tank will drop, allowing air to enter the hole to break the siphon. No check valve required. When running a small stream of rater will run from the hole.

As I reread your post I'm unfamiliar with a "overflow box powerhead outlet" but it should have a siphon break of some sort. Maybe it's all about where the output is located.

Nothing wrong with putting LR in the sump but remember that the fish enjoy hiding and perching on LR also.

melosu58 said:
Nothing wrong with putting LR in the sump but remember that the fish enjoy hiding and perching on LR also.

I agree, I can only put about 20-30lbs of LR in the sump, so about 30 - 40 lbs is in the main tank.

I'm looking to get a new lighting system, Current PC 2x65watts should be sufficient for most soft corals right?

This is a extra hole the main one is in back ont out of sight. This shows when the pump is off, the water drops below the hole, allowing air to break the siphon. When the pump is on the tank water rises until it covers the hole. I hope it's clearer to you.

Attachments

• return_175.jpg
    return_175.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 42
Yeah, that makes more sense now, but I just picked up a check valve for extra precaution :p

Back
Top Bottom