Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Setting up 40g breeder FOWLR

Hello all, so I've made the plunge into the SW world. I currently have a 120g FW setup that's been running for a few years now and is doing great! I have always wanted salt but recently just started getting everything together.

What I have.
40gal breeder that was a FW setup years ago.
Sunsun 404B canister filter.
2 Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 power heads.
Instant Ocean mix for 50gal
40lbs Natures Ocean live sand
BRS 4 stage RO/DI filter
32 gal brute Rubbermaid trashcan

What I'll be getting in the next week or so
Refractometer
Lighting (not sure which yet)
Live rock
After tank cycles I'll be getting a HOB protein skimmer

As of right now for stocking I'm looking at:
O. Clown (2)
Green clown goby
Blue devil damsel
And eventually a clean up crew

Now I have my RO/DI water in my brute trashcan, although I can't make enough at one time to fill my tank. Can I fill my tank with RO/DI water, get the canister filter going and then add the salt? Or would it be best to mix in the 30 gals in the trashcan and then add to my tank and then make another batch while I have the power heads circulate the water in the tank? Any other suggestions are appreciated as well. Thanks!!

-Blair

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

just so you know the blue devil will be a monster once it grows and most likely take out your clowns and goby , yes it's a pretty fish but any damsel isn't worth the risk of your livestock ,
I always pre mix my salt before adding

Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Setting up 40g breeder FOWLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
just so you know the blue devil will be a monster once it grows and most likely take out your clowns and goby , yes it's a pretty fish but any damsel isn't worth the risk of your livestock ,
I always pre mix my salt before adding

Ahh ok. Thanks! Haven't done TOOO much research on stocking yet. I've done a little though. I do know I want FOWLR and keep it simple for the time being. I have heard damsels are pretty messy though.

As far as mixing salt I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem to make 30-32gals and put it in the tank, keep it circulating with power heads and then make another 30-32 gals to fill the rest of the way up

Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I mix mine in 5 gal buckets just makes it easier to add but yes a garbage can is fine as long as you have a way to get it in tank
Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update on my tank for those that are interested. Tank is cycling. 27lbs of LR and 40lbs of live sand. What I failed to mention in the beginning was a correction from 40g to 30g breeder. Right now water is at 1.026-1.027. pH 8.0 ammonia yesterday and few previous day's was 8PPM this morning it was very close to 0PPM. Nitrites have been between 2.0 and 5.0 (hard to distinguish) and nitrates are between 80-160PPM. So seems like it's cycling very well!! Photos to come. By the way I did end up using the canister filter for now at least. And I have the two power heads running and moving a lot of water. One is set in circulation mode.

Tags
breed, breeder, fowlr, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com