Setting up a 150 gal. tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvdeadhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've kept freshwater tanks for years now so I've decided to go ahead and take the plunge and set up a saltwater tank. I've heard that the larger the salt tank is, the easier it can be. I've got plenty of room in my house for it and a local pet store is giving me a great deal on a 150 gal tank, at store cost. I've been reading as much as I can about the set up process and maintenance, but I know there are probably fine details or helpful advice out there. Here's what I plan on doing: Sand and crushed shell/coral for the base, live rocks, wet/dry filter with protein skimmer. Is there anything else that needs to be done/bought, or any helpful hints. Please let me know.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Sand and crushed shell/coral for the base

I'd go with sand, a fine grain sand, personally I would do a 1-2" layer, the fine grains will keep it from collecting detritus as bas a a larger grain like crushed shells or crushed coral.

wet/dry filter with protein skimmer

If doing a Fiosh only tank this is fine, but you need to know ahead of time what you expect from your tank. Do you want to do a reef tank? Do you want LR as a decoration, etc...These type of tanks will require a little to alot more lighting than a FO tank.

Is there anything else that needs to be done/bought, or any helpful hints

Continue to read as much as you can, post questions when you need to and set up a quarantine tank.

Thanks. I was wanting a reef tank. I've seen some pretty nice ones around here. The local petshop I mentioned in my post has everything I need for the reef. As for the sand, do you think it would be a good idea to mix the sand and crushed coral/shell together? Maybe 3 parts sand to 1 part coral?

i agree that you should only use the sand

If you are wanting a reef tank you will need to get some pretty good lighting for a 150g tank. Not sure what your best route would be though. Metal halide maybe?

I would suggest making a refugeum instead of a wet/dry... here is a great article about what they do and how to make one. http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/DIY/diyRefugium.shtml

Go out and get the book "the conscientous marine aquarist". god i can never remember how to spell that lol. Its a great book.

How many dead shows have ya seen???

HTH

rosstifer

fixed the link, it had DIY in it, which is a defined acronym, when using a link with a defined acronym you have to manually parse your urls ;)

Only one, and it was "The Other Ones". I was a late bloomer when it came to going on tour. I'm surprised you knew what that meant. Most people think I'm a satanist or something. LoL

Yeah, I was like 14 or 15.

I've been reading about lighting on this forum and it's like everyone is speaking Greek. I understand the wattages and whatnot, but I really don't know what combinations are best. Again, I'm wanting a reef tank, so what is a good day/night setup?

Back
Top Bottom