setting up a 20 long reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my 10g FOWLR running for about 4 months now without a problem. I now feel confident in switching over to a 20 long that I have in storage and trying my hand at some soft coral.

Here is what equiptment I have have at the moment:
20L AGA
100W Visi-Therm Stealth Heater
AC 20 Filter
Fluval 204 Cannister Filter
Rio 180
Glass Top
130W Current PC Light Strip(providing 6.5 WPG)

I will be ordering another 15 lbs of LR along with 30 lbs of reef sand this week. There will also be 1 Percula Clown, 4 Blue Legged Hermits, and 3 Astrea Snails being moved from the 10g.

Is there any other equiptment I will need for the switch? I rarely see cannister filters used in reef tanks, but is there a correct way to set it up to make it work? I could really use the extra flow it provides. And my last question, will the 130W PC fixture be enough light for some easy beginner coral?

I'd say u have everything ready except flow. Add another PH then ur good to go. Also, rplace the glass top with eggcrate. Glasstop will cause PH and heat problems.

Sounds good. A 20L is a great tank for corals because it is not too deep and the light should penetrate easily. 130watts of CF lighting should be just fine to support most polyps, softies and LPS corals. I agree about movement. You will need a couple more powerheads to help out. The length of the tank will against you in this instance.

So 2 powerheads PLUS the cannister filter? Looks like I will shoot for about 350-400 gph of flow, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks a ton for this help guys.

You will want at least 400gal/hr of flow. I would throw in another powerhead as well. Create a caotic currnet and avoid any dead spots.

Back
Top Bottom