setting up a 29 gallon freshwater w/sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickxcom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 29 gallon tank and I decided to go with a sand substrate. My question is this: how do I prevent the sand from getting sucked into the filter and jamming the internal workings? I think I remember hearing something about a piece of pantyhose? (and if i'm WAY off, please correct me). Any advice would be appriciated because while the sand LOOKS fantastic, im not willing to risk ruining my new filter because of it.
/
/
Many thanks,
nickxcom

Is your tank up and running and has it got fish in and other things???

it has everything but the fish, Im going the safe route w/a fishless cycle

Make sure your filter is a couple of inches above the sand and when doing gravel cleanings turn off the filter. I have pool filter sand in all my tanks, with a variety of HOB's and cannisters and have never had sand in a filter yet.

I have a 29 gal with sand and a hanging filter...I haven't had any problems with it yet...but it has only been set up for a couple weeks...and I changed out my betta tank from gravel to sand...What a difference...It makes it a look a lot brighter in the tank...

it has everything but the fish, Im going the safe route w/a fishless cycle

Good, good, well just turn of the filter when you are adding the sand, leave it off while it sinks, the turn it back on making sure you have about 2-3 inch gap from the sand and the filter intake.

nickxcom said:
I think I remember hearing something about a piece of pantyhose? (and if i'm WAY off, please correct me).

I tried this before and found it to be un-necesessary. The other posts are right, just keep the intake tube away the bottom.

I have a 29g with a HOB and pool filter sand. I heard that depending on the type of sand you use, some sink faster than others. PFS in this case is fine, it sinks pretty fast before being sucked up when rustled. It is also important to turn off your filter during maintenance.

I do not turn off my filter in my 29 with PFS during maintenance and I have never had a problem

Back
Top Bottom