Setting up a 34 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdblove_99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
for saltwater, tank has eclipse filtration and i will have fish only in it?

What do i need to get started?

I know some crushed coral and salt and live rock!

What else will i need to do to get this started?

I would probably look into a protein skimmer if it is possible to install one with an eclipse hood.

You'll want between 1 and 2 pounds of LR per gallon of water. You may want to consider a sand bed of 3 or 4 inches, or even deeper, rather than the crushed coral. IMO, it looks more natural, is easier to keep clean, and will help control nitrates. Also, you may want to consider running the Eclipse sans bio-wheel. The bio-wheel will only help contribute nitrates to your system. I know that some people have retro-fitted skimmers into Eclipse hoods, but I don't have experience with it. You'll also need test kits; initially for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. You'll also need a hydrometer to measure your salinity/specific gravity. You's also be wise to find a good source for RO/DI water, whether you buy a unit, or buy the water. Probably most importan, if you've never done salt water before, buy a good book. Books pay for themselves!!! Good luck. 0X

Since it is going to be a FO, you can just run the eclipse as the primary filter. You don't even need LR. You don't need to remove the wheel since you won't be keeping any inverts.

If I were going to do it, I would run the eclipse AND add some LR. That would give you a more natural look.

A protein skimmer would be nice but not necessary. FWIW, I doubt many hangon protein skimmers will fit on an eclipse. If I remember correctly there are only two holes on an eclipse hood: one on the left and one on the right. You would have to make sure any hangon skimmer you get will fit.

Check out the articles section, that is the best place to go instead of having to post a bunch of different questions, you can find lots of good info there!

Not that were not here to help ;)!

:hat:

I would still consider a low-nitrate system. Remember, fish are tolerant to nitrate. It doesn't mean it's good for them! You may not want to keep corals in this system, but your cleanup crew may consist of inverts; brittle stars, etc. And live rock has a number of benefits: 1) Makes your setup look more natural. 2) Extremely efficient biological filter, which can help reduce nitrates, rather than contribute them. 3) Can aid in contributing microscopic infauna to your system, which can keep sand bed healthy and add a natural food source for your fish. The tiny creatures, stars, copepods, amphipods, crabs, worms, etc., are also fascinating to discover and view. 4) Adds natural caves, tunnels and zones for fish to hide and territorialize. Live rock should be considered a crucial part of any system, even fish-only.

AFA skimmers, there are some air stone driven models which can reside inside of your tank. They are not necessarily the most efficient models on the market, but IMO, better than nothing.

I would still consider a low-nitrate system. Remember, fish are tolerant to nitrate. It doesn't mean it's good for them!

Of course nitrate isn't good for them but that doesn't mean that the use of the bio-wheel = nitrates high enough to kill the fish. As long as regular water changes are done the system will be fine. Its been working in the FW world for over 10 years now...

The gentlemen was asking what he needed to run the tank with what he has already purchased. Again, the eclipse is great with or without the wheel. It just depends on what he wants to keep.

Flipper does have a point that if you want to keep any kind of inverts, you will have to keep the nitrates relatively low. Although the LR won't help here much... Water changes are your best bet other than using a DSB or refugium.

Of course nitrate isn't good for them but that doesn't mean that the use of the bio-wheel = nitrates high enough to kill the fish.
The bus station across the highway from me doesn't give off enough carbon monoxide to kill me, but it certainly is unpleasant; and who knows...it may shorten my life. Why not give these animals the best environment we possibly can, since we've removed them from their natural environment?

regular water changes (which are necessary under any circumstances) will help to control the levels of nitrate in your system, but will not keep it at zero, where it should be for fish and inverts. With all due respect, I don't buy the line that it's okay as long as it doesn't kill them. How about 'it's okay if it doesn't stress them'?

The gentlemen was asking what he needed to run the tank with what he has already purchased.
I'm sorry, I didn't read anything from the gentleman (or lady?) asking about what he or she had already purchased; that person questioned, "What else will i need to do to get this started?"

I am simply informing this person in my opinion (note: IMO) of what should be considered in setting up a responsible, successful, and low-maintenance sw aquarium, as per the theory that I practice. I have nothing against the eclipse system, but IMO it's suited more for fresh water than salt, ie: bio-wheel, no space for skimmer. Of course someone can run a very successful aquarium with an Eclipse hood and filter.

You don't even need LR.
This advice I don't understand. I know that no two reefers or sw fish keepers agree 100%, but I didn't think this point, in 2003, would be a bone of contention! Live rock has been proven again and again to provide a healthier ecosystem for the fish we keep. Telling a newbie who wants to break into this hobby, that LR is not necessary, is sending them back to the 60s, when this hobby was much more difficult and specimens had shorter life spans in our 'care.'

Check it. I have a 37 gal eclipse and I do NOT have a protein skimmer and my inverts are doing outstanding and reproducing. As for the way that I did my tank is crushed coral 2 1/2 to 3 inch base with live rock for 3 weeks and then added my clean up crew, crabs, snails, star fish and co. Let that go fo another 2 weeks and you should be done cycling by then. I would do what I did and add a power head and change the light out on the eclipse hood it is a poor light. I got a 55 power compact retrofit kit, it will help the LR and the fish also. But I changed everything when I went to learn reef tanks so HTH. 0X

Let me clarify. I don't want this to be an argument. A question was asked, and I gave that person my best advise. I don't believe that that person should take my advice, or your advice, or any other individual's advice solely. This person should read the advice of a dozen posters, and formulate an opinion of his/her own. It just seemed as if you directly challenged my advice to this person. ddcboys added some good advice that you and I both neglected, ie: powerheads and improved lighting. The poster of this thread can benefit from reading all ideas and opinions.

No intention here for a fight... No hard feelings, I hope.

Back
Top Bottom