Setting up a 55gal sw tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonoma2nv

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i am switching my fw tank to sw.I am going to list what i want to do and then give me you input.

Salt Instant Ocean Bulk Synthetic Sea Salt 100 Gallon
Salinity Refractometer ATC
Lighting 4x65w pc
Protein skimmer Coralife Needle Wheel Skimmer 65gal
power heads 2 Maxi-Jet - 1200 PH will add 1 more later
live sand 80lbs for right now will add more later
live rock 60lbs dont know which kind yet
base rock 30lbs
SW Master test kit whats the best one??? which tests besides ph,ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,do i need to.

I will be cycling the tanks using the live rock will that be good enough? Later on i want to add a sump.would a 20gal be good for this?I working on a tight budget so i will be buying the skimmer,live sand,power heads,master test kit,Salinity Refractometer ATC,Instant Ocean Bulk Synthetic Sea Salt 100 Gallon ,first then about a month later some live rock.I have the lights already.I want to do a reef tanks with some corals later on.Sorry If i left anything out.Thanks Derrick

Derrick thats a pretty good list of hardware you have there. Probably your decision to cure with live rock will depend on wheather you use cured or uncured rock. If its uncured maybe so if cured you`ll need to throw a piece of raw shrimp in there to cycle. Whatever read the article on this site about a fishless cycle. I`m looking forward to seeing the pics from your tank later on also. Good luck.

it might be best to start with the water, salt, ls, and the lr, that way while the tank is cycling, youll have about 1-2 months to gather the rest of the things. :D

Well I have most of the hardware already the only thing thats going to be a while to get is the live rock.The live sand is on the way as we speak.And so is the Refractometer and salt,but everything else i have.So i guess i am asking if it will be ok to cycle it without the live rock and just buy cured live rock.Yeah thats how i cycled my fw tanks is with the shrimp method.Thanks For the replys

I dont know yet i need to check the prices of the lfs here and compare prices.

well, if you buy online, even though its cured, it will have some die off from the trip to your house. so it will have some sort of cycle. if you buy from lfs, it may or may not have die off from the trip home, depends on how far, etc, so maybe a small cycle.

Back
Top Bottom