Setting up a a smaller tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad.Sedore

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As my other project is forming i have just (within the hour) aquired a 30 gallon tank. my question to you is is it what needs to be changed from what i have already to make it into a salt water.. likely fish only

The hood is a Tropiquarium 68 with 2 aqua glo 15 watt tube flourecnent lights. the filter that it came with is a penguin biowheel 200. it also came with an elite 802 air pump. now besides getting a protien skimmer. what else would i need.

Ive already got a heater from my old 40 gallon set up... so it should work.

thanks alot.... again

-Brad

I would get some PH`s and forget about the air pump. All it`s going to do is create salt creep on your hood and top of the tank. BTW welcome to AA

Well, I have a 30g and I have all the basics, A filter, Skimmer, Heater, and you might want to add:
-A Power Head
-Maybe Adding some power Compact lighting
and then your good to go besides the live rock and sand and the like.....
You might (with better lighting) be able to keep some nice soft corals and mushrooms...
Good Luck!!!

As Fishypop22 said you may want corals, so you should update your lighting. Get some live rock and read/search/ask questions here before adding water.

is my current light capible of supporting soft corals, some urchins and other lower light corals?

if not is it capible of supporting just fish.. possibly for a adapting tank.

thanks
Brad

You need at least 3-4 watts per gallon. You only have 1 watt. I think even mushrooms need more. Fish only would be ok. I think the lighting that's associated with SW tanks is part of the whole effect. I wouldn't want it without nice lighting.

There is nothing wrong with saving up until you can do it right you know. You'll be happier with the results then. ;)

is my current light capible of supporting soft corals, some urchins and other lower light corals?

I agree that you dont have enough for corals. My suggestion would be just deal with fish now and save up for the lights. When you are ready to get them retrofits are much cheaper.

my plan was just to get a little experence while saving up for my larger tank... i will likely just use it to acclimate fish in. thanks alot

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom