Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to fergieturk
Setting up a new tank

Hi all,
I am moving in may and my boyfriend wants to move my clownfish (singular) from my 20 gallon to a 75 - 125 gallon (haven't decided yet). He wants to turn it into a reef tank - right now I have a FOWLR. He doesn't like things hanging off the tank and tubes running everywhere (I told him get use to it). Does anyone have any suggestions for a filter for a reef tank with a minimum amount of "crap hanging on the back of the tank"? We saw the Uniaquarium, but I vetoed the bioballs due to what I was reading online.
Thanks for your help!
Michelle
P.S. If the tank isn't cycled by May my fish won't go in the new tank.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have a 125 reef ready tank, meaning that it is pre-drilled through the bottom, and has 2 corner boxes with overflows. You can see it by looking at the product catalog at: http://www.all-glass.com/products/index.asp , click on the "Year 2003 Catalog Download Section", select Large aquariums and then scroll down and you'll see what it looks like.

Then you can get a sump to put under the cabinet. The only cords will be for powerheads and lights. everything else can be in the cabinet.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are you in college and thus in may you will be moving?

If you know your moving in just a few months really it might be best to put your upgrade plans on hold till you move. Having to move a large tank is quite a challenge and if it can be avoided it would be a good idea.

To have a minimum amount of things hanging off the tank look for a tank that is "reef ready". These tanks will have built in overflows that drain the water into a wet/dry or a sump. The sump is positioned below the tank inside the stand. In the sump you can place your heaters, skimmer, and anything else you want. Then the only thing you really have hanging on the tank is the return line from the sump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:36 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You can buy a reef ready tank (tank is drilled in one ore two corners to accomodate drain and return lines) and rather than using a "wet/dry" you can use a sump and/or a refugium. This will contain all your equipment in under the tank in the sump/refugium. The only thing you would have to hang off the back would be cords for the powerheads inside or the drain and return lines for a closed loop.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
HEHE, Funny stuff. 3 replys each 2 min apart. Non of us realized the other was replying probably.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi,
Just to clarify. Yup, I'm in college and the boyfriend is in the permanent home. He wanted something set up for my fish when I move in May. The larger tank will be in the permanent home.
Thanks,
Michelle
Old 03-24-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The reef ready (drilled) tank will be the best way to go. It's definitely worth the extra money to get it. The siphon type overflows, while they work well, are a hassle and have potential for disaster if the siphon ever breaks.
Logan J
Old 03-24-2003, 12:56 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Oh, Ok.

Just ignore my part about waiting till you move to set it up then. The rest of the advice is valid.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it! We still sounded like morons at the LFS, but with your advice at least we didn't sound like complete morons. We decided to go with a reef ready tank with a sump and everything else underneath.

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com