Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
So I was just going to post a thread about setting up a QT tank. My initial thought was how to have it functional in a moment's notice. I thought having a heater, powerhead and small light on the ready would be great. Once I had the new purchase or sick fish, I could thrown in some LR from the sump and have some beneficial bacteria for filtration. Once I was done with it I could set aside the rock and let it die off, adding it back to the sump later. Carey, this isn't a good idea because copper medication will kill the BB? Wouldn't it also kill anything living in the sponge that was moved over? The sponge or live rock would be serving the same purpose wouldn't they? I'm thinking LR vs sponge just because I wouldn't have to buy the sponges every time no? Thoughts?

mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Yep, copper will kill off anything, whether its on a sponge or rock. If you ended up dosing copper though you would be doing a good amount of water changes anyways, you have to keep the copper at a specific level every single day.

In my mind if I needed a qt for treatment I would most likely do water changes daily anyway. I wouldnt wanna risk any live rock for sure, even if you dried it out the copper would have been leeched into the rock and could slowly release back into the water at a future date.

Depending on what you would be treating for, hyposalinity would probably be the best bet for ich. In that case you wouldnt have to worry about copper leeching.

Keep in mind I have been pretty lucky and have never had to set up a qt for treatment but thats what I would do if need be.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
So a qt doesn't need to cycle?
Lauramichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys sorry for the long response time. I moved the Coral Beauty into the quarantine tank a little over a week ago. I gave her a fresh water dip for 2 minutes, then moved her into the 10 gallon quarantine I had set up. I have a submersible filter and a submersible heater with a PVC pipe. After about a half an hour in the QT, she was freaking out. She started losing color, I double checked the water and everything was fine. I'm nervous I did something wrong. Any thoughts, and I'm starting to think the coral beauty just did not appreciate the hospitalization.

protokix22 is offline   Reply With Quote

quarantine tank, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com