Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-08-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up a Reef Sytem in 5 easy steps-really??

I've been researching the web about SW tanks, because I've always been fascinated with the idea of SW tanks, and more recently a reef tank. I found this article on "setting up a reef system in 5 easy steps" and I'd like to know if a.) anyone has tried this and b.) what you think about the advice / process listed.

bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
That is pretty close on how my most recent tank went.
But, i disagree on a few things.
I think the rock should go in first. 4-6 " of water. Then sand, followed by the water. By placing the rock on the bottom there is no chance a burrowing critter could cause an avalanche.
Week 4. A 30 gal clean up crew may be too large to start. Add a few at a time. If add too quickly they may eat all of the algae immediately and then starve.
Weeks 6 and 8. That is alot to add to a tank in that time. And maybe too many.
Weeks 10 and 12 6 fish in 2 weeks is way to fast. I go with 2 fish to start. 2 weeks later add 1 fish to a qt for 4-6 week period. If safely passed qt they go in the tank and a new guy goes into qt.
Hey I'm not knocking the article. I just believe they are in it to make money by selling you stuff you may not need. Maintaning an aquarium. Do not dose your tank with anything you can't test for. Just because my tank needs some Ca doesn't mean yours will.
Hey I'm not knocking the article. I just belive they are also trying to make a sale.
The one thing that is most important in this hobby is patience. The article never mentioned that.

A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks very much for your reply. Do you have any experience with the SeaClear System II tanks? I'm only just starting, and the only other tanks I'm familiar with are some small 6 & 12 gallon Eclipse System tanks we've setup at the office (FW).

With the Eclipse systems, I can get into everything at the top of the tank. I'm unsure how much maintaince actually goes on (filter changes?) for the SeaClear - therefore having everything in the back is making me nervous. Any insight??
bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
bghouse one of the best things you did was post your questions in this forum. the crew here are very knowledgable with this hobby.

I started off half a year ago and I learned a ton reading books and posting on this forum. The way I did it was to add some water then the sand and then some rocks. I didnt add all the rocks at the same time.. we added about 20lbs every two weeks or so during the cycling process. good luck
65 Gal Marine
60lbs of LS and 100lbs of LR
EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow--to me, a newbie, that list looks like a recipe for disaster. As Darb2 said, too much, too fast. The first rule of SW keeping, as I've learned here, is "patience." (Well, that, and "Don't forget the salt.") It seems (again, from my newbie perspective) that every tank has its own personality, so to speak--they cycle at their own rates, adjust to additional bio-load at their own rates, and are ready for more life at their own rates. It might be a starting place, a general guide--but I'd want to do a whole lot more research before I trusted it wholly. Of course, your mileage may vary--it might work perfectly for some folks out there.

I have never used a compact system, so I can't be of any help with the SeaClear!
75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I love that article. They just forgot to add steps 6 and 7.

Step six: scoop out dead fish and corals
step seven: order more fish and corals

Oh, and don't forget step 8: give up on hobby until you come across AA and begin correctly with lots of good advice

Definately too much too soon. Factor in an actual cycle and add slower in the same order but without the overpopulation and its fine.

indy is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com