Setting up a Salt Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whistlepig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I just picked up a used 55g tank (used as a FW plant tank) with a few things:

- filter (Includes homemade wet/dry filter with pump. ),
- Eco-complete gravel
- Also includes filter media and a couple (FW) live plants.

I have had plenty of FW set ups, but am a :n00b: to the SW world.

Sounds like the filter will work pretty nicely, but I have some questions about what kind of equipment is recommended. Skimmer? uh? other stuff?

I also can buy a 2 year old Coralife double compact fluorescent 48" freshwater light for $100. Is that something that would be versatile enough to get me along into fish only set up? Anyone have any recommendations on the bulbs or is this a waste of money/time.

If there is already a thread on this let me know and sorry for the duplicate.

Thanks,
whistlepig

Check out this sticky in the Getting started area. You will need new bulbs for that light. One 10k and one 03-Actinic is what most folks would use.

Forget the gravel. It traps too much waste and will cause water quality issues. Go with a sand bed or bare bottom.

Read the articles and sift through the forumns. Then post more questions as they arise. Go slow and plan things out. Post your plans and ask for advice. If you do that you should end up with a succesful tank.

Good luck.

I agree. Dont use the gravel. Go with sand. It`ll be easier for your cleanup crew to clean up. Read the articles that Scott pointed to.

Back
Top Bottom