Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
after a long time sucking from my gf LOL, the overflow finally worked.
our stupid pump won't suck air >.>, anyway the sump is working perfectly and quitely XD.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Looks good! Congrats on the finished project

Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8z2luze View Post
Looks good! Congrats on the finished project
thanks ^^
my parents will be happy too, since I finally can stop sitting in front of my tank for a while till I have more money for RO/DI unit XD
Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, have a problem now.
I know I can drill a hole on the Utube, so when power is out, my sump won't flood, but today, the Utube suddenly stop suckin water (no idea what had happened), I m glad I was near by so I stop the return pump.

what should I do to prevent my DT to flood?

lower my DT water top line, or
suck some water out from the return section, but if I do either of that, the pump will burn out if my overflow stop working.

need help >o<
I m afriad either of that will happen again when I m not around ToT
Old 08-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
The siphon break hole should be in the output in the tank just above the water line with the pump off. IMO Your output tube inside the overflow box should be higher than the partition (can't tell with the foam). If you put a hole in the "u" tube you'll need to connect it to a power head venturi.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
The siphon break hole should be in the output in the tank just above the water line with the pump off. IMO Your output tube inside the overflow box should be higher than the partition (can't tell with the foam). If you put a hole in the "u" tube you'll need to connect it to a power head venturi.
alrite, I will do more research on it, then see if I can fix it tmr.
Thanks ^^
Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
I wouldn't put a hole in the siphon tube for the overflow (if that's what your talking about lol) its best to stick an airline into it and prime it, and once its primed the flow of the pump should keep bubbles from accumulating. At least that's how it's working out in mine.

I've turned off my tank nightly for a few weeks now and it hasn't lost a siphon once (quite happy with the Eshopps box)

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
I wouldn't put a hole in the siphon tube for the overflow (if that's what your talking about lol) its best to stick an airline into it and prime it, and once its primed the flow of the pump should keep bubbles from accumulating. At least that's how it's working out in mine.

I've turned off my tank nightly for a few weeks now and it hasn't lost a siphon once (quite happy with the Eshopps box)
Are you using it like the photo above?

I just noticed that your hose from the overflow is at the bottom of the sump. Try to keep it off the bottom for better flow.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Which photo? xD

I have mine set up as level as possible, i think that's one of the key's to it. As long as it's level and the U tube is always submerged, the siphon will restart. The only difference between my set up and the one here is that I have rigid pipe (doesn't matter when regarding siphon failure) and instead of the foam pre filter I just have a longer stand pipe. (also doesn't matter in this case)

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO the longer stand pipe is the key.

Tags
build, diy, pipes, pumps, setting up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com