Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Putting my sump together!! Welcome comment~ ^^

Yeah!! as some member might know I ordered my overflow and return pump last week, and finally they arrived today.
Some picture of the arrival ^^

weird placement of my sump XD

Now I am thinking of where and how should I connect the PVC
or should I just use flex tube.
Gonna go to home depot/local store later.
Tested the return pump, powerful and quite, but don't know if its powerful enough to push all the way up to my DT XD.
can't get the overflow to work, hard to get the air out from the Utube, any suggestion?

update soon.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
I know it might be stupid....
but I can't get this thing open..... anyone knows how?
fine I m stupid, my gf got it..she opened it for me LOL

ok, working on them

everythings look good, well first time doing PVC, I think it looks pretty good, just a little off here and there XD
but it looks good, just need to wait till the water test >o<

gonna add water now~~hehe

Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

To get the air out of the transfer tube you have to stick and air line tube in there and suck out the air pocket.

Also right where you lock-line attaches to you pvc you might want to drill a small hole to break the siphon incase power goes out I didnt see where you had a check valve installed.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Lookin good!

Only a few suggestions from me:
1 would be to use flex tubing for the return line (or atleast up to where you have the elbows and valve) rigid pipe looks better but the sharp bends cut down on water flow. (Don't worry about the elbow that goes over the top of the tank, not much that can be done about that lol)

2 is build a silencer for your drain line. Mine gurgles and it annoys me (same model as you have) I forgot what it's called but I know there's one thats just a cap, a bushing, and a coupler plus a little airline tubing.

That's about it xD.

Did you use plastic for your baffles or glass? If they are plastic they seem kinda thin (maybe it's just how the picture is..)

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes it is looking good BTW.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-duty View Post
To get the air out of the transfer tube you have to stick and air line tube in there and suck out the air pocket.

Also right where you lock-line attaches to you pvc you might want to drill a small hole to break the siphon incase power goes out I didnt see where you had a check valve installed.
sry I m not to familiar with the terms.
where is the lock-line?
and whats a check valve?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
Lookin good!

Only a few suggestions from me:
1 would be to use flex tubing for the return line (or atleast up to where you have the elbows and valve) rigid pipe looks better but the sharp bends cut down on water flow. (Don't worry about the elbow that goes over the top of the tank, not much that can be done about that lol)

2 is build a silencer for your drain line. Mine gurgles and it annoys me (same model as you have) I forgot what it's called but I know there's one thats just a cap, a bushing, and a coupler plus a little airline tubing.

That's about it xD.

Did you use plastic for your baffles or glass? If they are plastic they seem kinda thin (maybe it's just how the picture is..)

hehe thanks for the suggestions, too bad I already glue them and my parents r *****ing about my classes, so I probably won't build another one for now.

drain line? from my returen pump? I will be doing water test later tonight and see how it goes. and do u have any tut or pic of a silencer?

the divider and baffles r between 1/2 and 3/4 glass.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by match55 View Post
hehe thanks for the suggestions, too bad I already glue them and my parents r *****ing about my classes, so I probably won't build another one for now.

drain line? from my returen pump? I will be doing water test later tonight and see how it goes. and do u have any tut or pic of a silencer?

the divider and baffles r between 1/2 and 3/4 glass.
Same here, I haven't done anything at all to my tank LOL.

Drain line for your overflow, like the rigid pipe looks nice but it gurgles. Flex hose bends gradually meaning less noise. (from what I understand)

I'm planning on getting some PVC to make a silencer, school is more important though haha.

(link to silencer to be edited in when i find it)

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

return pump and the pipes work great, waiting the salt to dissolve and will add the overflow box XP
Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
Same here, I haven't done anything at all to my tank LOL.

Drain line for your overflow, like the rigid pipe looks nice but it gurgles. Flex hose bends gradually meaning less noise. (from what I understand)

I'm planning on getting some PVC to make a silencer, school is more important though haha.

(link to silencer to be edited in when i find it)
oh I think i got the drain line that u talking about, I just forgot to upload the picture XP. I will put it on after I finish my drawings for tonight

Tags
build, diy, pipes, pumps, setting up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com