Setting up an Octopus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black96WS6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Well I've decided to setup an Octopus tank. I used to keep them many years ago (around 1989-1991).

I miss them, and had almost forgotten about them until I happened to come across a post in another forum on how much fun another hobbyist was having with his new one.

I plan on getting a brand new tank, just to house him/her, with no other tank mates. The species will be Bimaculoides (Pacific Ocotpus, also found in the local waters here in San Diego).

I plan on purchasing an aqua-cultured little guy/girl, about 8-10 weeks old.

I plan on getting a 25 gallon tall, getting a generic dark blue light to keep the light levels low, some fine sand for the bottom, and multiple hiding places via rocks or other items (haven't quite decided what yet). Also plan on regulating his/her feeding so he/she won't get too large.

I won't need a heater since it's a Bimaculoides species, room temperature should be fine. Also thinking about using a closed system or something similiar, like the Eclipse, if possible, so it will be harder for him/her to escape ;)

Since it's been awhile, does anyone who has actually kept an octopus have any additional tips, anecdotes, or advice? :D

sweet! I have not heard of people having much sucsess with Octos, but you seem to have a firm grasp on what your doing.

Thanks everyone, that information will definitely come in handy! I have decided to keep a running diary of everything from start to finish so everyone can see how much it will cost for a reasonable size tank and shooting for a reasonable success level with Octopuses (Octopi?) :D . I'll bump this thread in 2 months! Hehe :p

Day 1 - Sat night! Step #1! I Just returned from Pet Kingdom in San Diego, and very excited after purchasing a new 30 gal acrylic tall acquarium. I'm hoping the taller height of the acquarium will be an additional deterent to the little guy climbing out! The hard part is going to be waiting 2 months for the tank to cycle! :wink: . Cost: $140

Aquarium.jpg

Day 1 - Step 2 - Accessories for the Octopus tank -

Coincidentally, PetCo is having a sale right now on Eclipse System 2 hoods, only $69.99, with free shipping for them! PLUS, they're having a 20% off discount on your first online order! What a bargain!

So I ordered:

1 - Eclipse System 2 hood - $69.99

2 - Intank Protein Skimmer (4/5 stars, check out the review here: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/prskimmers/gr/aaprberlinairli.htm, only $29.99)

3 - Air pump with decent power for the skimmer, this also serves to aerate the water, since Octopuses (Octopi?) require higher oxygen levels - $14.90

4 - Airline tubing and extra air stones for later, $11

PetCoCheckOut.jpg

Total damage for everything so far, incuding tank (almost done though): $246.10 (bye bye saved-up overtime money) :D

Octopuses. The article pointed to in your other thread goes into detail about how Octopus is actually derived from greek and not from latin. So the appropriate ending would actually be -odes. Octopodes, while technically correct, is not the commonly accepted pluralization though. The accepted pluralization is "Octopuses". So there you have it. Very interesting read.

Back
Top Bottom