Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

in regards to the amount of live rock, it is perfiectly viable to use a good portion, say 60-70 pounds of "dry rock" as base rock and then top that with 30-40 pounds of live rock. The live rock will "seed" the base rock with algae and critters and will become live rock over time.

FF, can you suggest a good base rock? I'm not as familiar with supplimenting, i just know it works

Old 08-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Labrat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
it is perfiectly viable to use a good portion, say 60-70 pounds of "dry rock" as base rock and then top that with 30-40 pounds of live rock. The live rock will "seed" the base rock with algae and critters and will become live rock over time.
I have pieces of dead coral and dead LR in the tank right now. Would it spread to that all right? They're 3-6lbs apiece, and I only have four of them, but I can get more of that easily enough if it will work. *excited now* That would be so much easier on us, to get base 'dry rock' instead of buying all live rock! Since we've got so much time to get this running, it won't matter how long it takes to spread, once we know it will.

*waits to find out if it will work or not*

~Sparkle

Old 08-14-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

old live rock will definitely work just fine. I'm not sure how porus dead corals are, but I would imagine they would work just fine as well.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #14

so we're going for porus. ^.^ okay, I'll look into that.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

dumb question but did you wash the tank out with just water or a bleach solution?

I ask because reptile urine and fecies tend to stick with a tank for a long time and I would hate for you to get cycling and have an "unknown" problem.

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #16

We wiped everything down with a towel, first, and then blasted it with a hose. When she brought the tank into the actual lab I rinsed it out again, and then went over the entire thing with windex once or twice, and then rinsed it out until the only thing I could smell was the water i was rinsing with, and then we wiped it down with papertowel and filled it. Would that be all right for cleaning? That's pretty much how I clean my tanks at home, except they get sprayed out with the hose several times after the windex, instead of pouring and wiping with sponges and stuff, but they do have a pretty high-pressure water spout we were using.

~Sparkle
Old 08-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

you didn't use the windex on the inside of the tank i hope?

if you did, and you rinsed it a couple dozens times throughly and did a happy rain dance, you should be ok. but, in the future, the only thing you should use on the inside of the tank is water, and if need-be a 1-10 dilute of bleach and water.

(if you rinsed it well you should be ok... if you have the opportunity, just run the tank with water only for a few days to be sure anything else left in the tank has a chance to be absorbed/discarded)

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com