Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
the picture on the right is def a ro/di unit...aka what you use to make water for the tank. You should probably check the filters...i dont think they need to be changed too often but who knows how long the previous owner has had them going
Could you elaborate on this a bit? How do I make water for the tank?...Mixing Saltwater with tap water to a proper salinity suffice as making water for the tank? Yee! All the reading I've been doing lately has me all confused!...but it makes more sense every day!

Thanks KMS907 for your reply I really do appreciate any help I can get.

Raudel

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef aquariums

Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrogen, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.

I just copy and pasted this from wiki but this is why its used. If you just type in reverse osmosis to wiki you'll get more info. My dad hooked ours up so i dont know much about hooking it up but your tap water flows into the ro/di unit through a small tube and goes through all the filters and such and then comes out through another small tube with the water you'll use in the tank...you do have to add salt still of course

Old 04-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
Reef aquariums

Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrogen, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.

I just copy and pasted this from wiki but this is why its used. If you just type in reverse osmosis to wiki you'll get more info. My dad hooked ours up so i dont know much about hooking it up but your tap water flows into the ro/di unit through a small tube and goes through all the filters and such and then comes out through another small tube with the water you'll use in the tank...you do have to add salt still of course
Makes perfect sense. thanks a bunch!

I'm attaching a photo of all the live rocks I bought today. Who can guess How much I payed for them? Along with how much I should've payed. They are 195lbs of Fiji Live Rock.

Raudel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0716.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	23294  
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

You want to use RODI (Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionized) water if possible. A properly funtioning RO uniit will remove 98% of the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water. My tap water is 185 - 215 tds so my RO unit brings it down to under 3 on the tds meter. The DI filter then removes the rest giving me 0 tds water for mixing my salt. RO alone is better than tap.

I use a garden hose apapter on my kitchen faucet (got it at Ace hardware), the a garden hose to 1/4" adapter to connect the water line to the RODI unit.

Live rock runs from aprox $3/pound to $9+/pound depending on where you get it and whether it is cured or fresh.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
You want to use RODI (Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionized) water if possible. A properly funtioning RO uniit will remove 98% of the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water. My tap water is 185 - 215 tds so my RO unit brings it down to under 3 on the tds meter. The DI filter then removes the rest giving me 0 tds water for mixing my salt. RO alone is better than tap.

I use a garden hose apapter on my kitchen faucet (got it at Ace hardware), the a garden hose to 1/4" adapter to connect the water line to the RODI unit.

Live rock runs from aprox $3/pound to $9+/pound depending on where you get it and whether it is cured or fresh.
Thanks for the info! It's very helpfull. I'll be sure to use the RO/DI unit to use for my tank.

I bout the 200 pounds of Fiji LiveRock for 300.

Raudel
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow only 300! my LFS sells the live rock for $9!! i would have had to pay $1755 for the 195lbs!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #27

Deals!!!!!!

Where are you finding all of these deals at. That tank setup is a STEAL. There should be a crime for what you got and that price. Welcome to the SW family and hope you enjoy. I would say be ready to pay a lot up front, but looks like you are already taken care of in that aspect. Hope you post more photos on the progress of the SW build.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr8484 View Post
Where are you finding all of these deals at. That tank setup is a STEAL. There should be a crime for what you got and that price. Welcome to the SW family and hope you enjoy. I would say be ready to pay a lot up front, but looks like you are already taken care of in that aspect. Hope you post more photos on the progress of the SW build.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Craglist.org has been my friend!!! People seem to fail at the SW attempt and put the tanks up for sell. But I contact them and offer quite less from what they wanted. The guy that sold me the live rock also gave a way to me Live sand and crushed coral, not as part of the deal but as a good gesture, I'll be picking that up today I think.

craiglist baby!!! I'm from the central valley, and I find several aquarium purchase options in the Modesto to Fresno areas. I'll be stuck to craiglist for any new items I need. and will only buy at the store when craiglist fails me for too long.

Raudel
Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #29

Sump Exchange

Hi All,

Just wanted to mention that I exchanged my sump with a sump/skimmer setup with submersible pumps. Someone needed a fresh water setup with bio balls and could make use of my sump, and in exchange I took his sump/skimmer for my tank.

Check out the PHOTOS. First two are the Original Sump. Second two are the new sump with skimmer.

Next post will contain another item recently purchased.

Raudel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0662.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	23322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0664.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	23323  

Name:	IMAG0739.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	23324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0740.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	23325  

Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #30

UV Sterilizer

Hi All,

I bought this UV Sterilizer for $30 dollars. Pictures Attached.

Any advice? I will begin with Live Rock and I don't want to kill any food supplies.
I think the Sterilizer is the white cilinder, what is the black cilinder, and how do I use the meter, what should my default settings be for the tank setup I desire with a FOWLER tank. Corrals in the future.

Raudel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0735.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	23354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0736.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	23355  

Name:	IMAG0737.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	23356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0738.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	23357  

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com