Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

In addition to my previous Post.

Would someone look at my Sump/skimmer unit and let me know if it's a good setup? I've read of sumps that have bio balls, skimmers, refugium, and more...should i look into making my sump more usefull? how?

could someone sketch/design the perfect sump unit with dimensions on all items inside a sump? I'll find it or make it myself if I have to. The design needs to be for a 250 gallon FOWLER tank with full reef in the plans.

Raudel

Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #32

Any new inputs from my last posts?

Raudel

Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not really an expert on sump/skimmers or uv sterilizers sorry! But i do know that a UV sterilizer basically kills microscopic organisms in the water. This can be good and bad...it will kill parasites which is great but will also kill all bacteria the good and the bad which is not so great.... i think (but am def not sure) that people who do use UV sterilizers don't run them 24/7. It would probably be awesome to use in a qt tank. Also im told most of the good bacteria stays in the rock and sand so maybe you could run it 24/7 with no worries about losing the good bacteria? Hopefully someone with better knowledge replies haha sorry!
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
I'm not really an expert on sump/skimmers or uv sterilizers sorry! But i do know that a UV sterilizer basically kills microscopic organisms in the water. This can be good and bad...it will kill parasites which is great but will also kill all bacteria the good and the bad which is not so great.... i think (but am def not sure) that people who do use UV sterilizers don't run them 24/7. It would probably be awesome to use in a qt tank. Also im told most of the good bacteria stays in the rock and sand so maybe you could run it 24/7 with no worries about losing the good bacteria? Hopefully someone with better knowledge replies haha sorry!
Thanks for your reply kms907. Does anyone else have any inputs?

Raudel
Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can't cure Ich. Don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise. Good bacteria lives in and on Live Rock. That's why the more pourus the rock is, the better, so there is more places for that good bacteria to live. There is very little water bourne good bacteria so don't worry about the UV setriliser kill any.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaudelJr View Post

Would someone look at my Sump/skimmer unit and let me know if it's a good setup? I've read of sumps that have bio balls, skimmers, refugium, and more...should i look into making my sump more usefull? how?

could someone sketch/design the perfect sump unit with dimensions on all items inside a sump? I'll find it or make it myself if I have to. The design needs to be for a 250 gallon FOWLER tank with full reef in the plans.

Raudel
Hey check out melevsreef.com he has a lot of sump designs in many different sizes. I'm designing one of my own after one of his prototypes.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaudelJr View Post

Raudel
Also, here are some videos that may aid in some ideas:
YouTube - Episode 80 pt 5,The 500 Gallon Aquarium, LA Fishguys
YouTube - SW Rebuild - Part 15 - Refugium and Copepods
YouTube - SW Rebuild - Part 6 - Connecting the Pump

IMO, all of tickleyourbrain and most of lafishguys videos are very informational. Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
It can't cure Ich. Don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise. Good bacteria lives in and on Live Rock. That's why the more pourus the rock is, the better, so there is more places for that good bacteria to live. There is very little water bourne good bacteria so don't worry about the UV setriliser kill any.
Thank you for this clarification!!!! I have a good 195lbs of Pourus Live rock, so I'll include the UV sterilizer into my system. Thanks a bunch.

Raudel
Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #40

New Question,

I have the 195lb pounds of Live Rock in my 55 gallon Hexagon Tank. I have it with a specific gravity of 1.022

Will the Rocks stay live if I just keep the rock in the salt water at that specific gravity while using power heads to simply cycle the water around? (My Rock is growing a lot of green algae) I sometimes keep the light on, some days I turn the light off.

Would someone let me know what I should do to keep things healthy with my rocks? I'm not going to introduce those rocks in my display tank any time soon.

- Should I feed my LR? What to feed?
- Should I install a heater?
- Should I keep a specific Gravity?
- Lighting?

Remember, I'm simply storing this Live Rock for later use and would like to keep it healthy and Alive for when my display tank is ready.

Last question:

- Should I use Live Sand? or should I simply buy the Aragonite Sand sold in pet stores? I've read contradicting articles and would like to know what is best for my aquarium. Does Live sand contain Aragonite? I get the feeling that Many get live sand fromthe ocean and that is what live sand is considered. Others buy Aragonite Sand from the store which helps with the PH of the water. If I buy Aragonite Sand, will it become Live Aragonite Sand some day?

Raudel

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com