Setting up my quarantine tank: questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a 10 gallon tank to use for quarantine, and I am setting it up as suggested in the AA article. But I still have some questions:

1. I have an ancient sponge filter made by Tetra back when I didn't know anything about the nitrogen cycle. I don't think it's even sold anymore. But, it's in perfect condition. Can I still use it for this tank?

2. I will be buying a longnose hawkfish to quarantine. Do I still need to pile rocks so that he will have a place to hide? I know they prefer to perch on the top of the rock pile.

3. Why is no substrate used, is that because it's easier to suck up the uneaten food?

4. Can I use substrate if I add a few hermits to eat the food which settles on the bottom? I figure that's better than stressing out the fish with a siphon in the tank.

leafyseadragon said:
1. I have an ancient sponge filter made by Tetra back when I didn't know anything about the nitrogen cycle. I don't think it's even sold anymore. But, it's in perfect condition. Can I still use it for this tank?

Sure, you might want to run it in an established tank for a while if you can to get the bacteria started on it. You'll also probably have some salt creep from the bubbles breaking the surface, but that should be easy to clean up on a Q tank.

2. I will be buying a longnose hawkfish to quarantine. Do I still need to pile rocks so that he will have a place to hide? I know they prefer to perch on the top of the rock pile.

I probably wouldn't use rocks. I think a few pieces of PVC fittings piled up would do it and you could easily clean/disinfect that. The open fittings would give the fish a place to hide as well.

3. Why is no substrate used, is that because it's easier to suck up the uneaten food?

Yes. It also makes it easier to break the tank down when it's not in use.

4. Can I use substrate if I add a few hermits to eat the food which settles on the bottom? I figure that's better than stressing out the fish with a siphon in the tank.

You could, but I probably wouldn't. If you ever have to use the tank to treat fish using copper, you'll have to get all the inverts out. The substrate would be unsuitable for use with inverts after being exposed to the meds. I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom