setting up new 180 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of aquiring equiptment for my new 180 gal. So far i have:
tank
stand
hood
2 600 gal overflow boxes
should be recieving my Remora Evo 240 next week
Custom built sump
mag 12 fo the skimmer
2 400W mogel MH fixtures with ballasts installed in hood
4 36W CF with atinic bulbs
300W wan bros titanium heater

my question is what should I be using for a return pump. I was thinking about another mag 12.

Also what ahould I use for PH in the tank how many and where? I am battling green hair alge right now in my other tank I believe from lack of flow in some areas. I just don't want to fight as much with it this time.

I am looking at purchasing abou 250-300 lbs of live rock online to start the tank. Any suggestions as to where i could get a good price on the rock?

Thanks for your help,
Tj

army6192plt said:
I am looking at purchasing abou 250-300 lbs of live rock online to start the tank. Any suggestions as to where i could get a good price on the rock?

If you are looking to save money I would do a 50/50 split of Live rock and base rock. I think I`ve heard others use a marco rocks. com. I cant remember but they will be on to tell you about it but it is very cheap. Just use the LR to seed the BR.

Hmmm... I have a 72g Bow with 1200gph return and 1200gph overflow. Remember that you loose some of your flow when you pump the water up out of your sump. I have 4 Max-jet 1200's the new nano-stream (660gph) and a mag 5 running my closed loop with SCWD. I'm planning on upping my return pump to a 1800. With a tank as large as your you may want to look into doing a Tunze set up with a multi controller. Just my thoughts. Also I would consider maybe a 250MH between those 400s assuming your tank is 72x24x24, again just my thoughts. HTH

The skimmer specs should tell you what kinda gph you'll need for it. I use a mag 7 on my 155, so a 12 may sound right, not sure though. Check the skimmer specs.

BTW, I use the Tunze w/controller set up. Pricey, but love it. Seio's are better priced and some like'm. You didn't mention any powerheads for curculation above yet. Ideas so far?

skimmer specs recommend a mag 12 thats why I have chosen that one.

I guess that is what I am asking is what I should use for power heads and such.

Thanks,
tj

I ordered 150 Lbs from marcorocks.com and they are great!! I will add about 70-100Lbs of cured rock from my LFS, so I have a little more than 50/50.

how much flow should I be looking to get with the PH?

ok so it looks like I am going to go with:

SCWD
Seio controller
2 seio 1500 pumps
mag 12 return pump

I was looking at aquatic technology to purchase my live rock. They have great prices that are beating all the others. Anyone use them before?

I have a Mag 18 pumping water back into my 120g so i would go bigger than that for a 180g. I use Seio PH and i love them. I would get the largest size they make idk if thats the 1500 or not, but they r great.

I wouldn't waste my money on the SIEO controller. Just get the titanium, digital heaters and you should be good. I read a few reviews on them and the tend to have problems (the controller). I love my SIEO phs, though!

+++EDIT+++
Sorry, I was thinking of the Finnex controller, not the SEIO controller. Personally, I don't know if I would spend the $150 on the controller, it seems that you are now limiting your phs to a single point of failure (I don't have this product, so I am not totally sure), basically, if the controller fails, will your phs still work....?

Back
Top Bottom