Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Setting up new tank, question.

Got my tank, preparing everything to set the new one up but have a question.....

The undergravel filter? I know it serves no purpose in a SW tank, BUT, can I use the plates themselves to keep the rock off the bottom of the tank and if so do I put any sand under the grates or just straight on the bottom?

Got my 55 gal up and running, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates so maybe tomorrow I'll start putting the LR from the main into it. (then comes the fun part, chasing the little fishies around the tank for hours.)

I've got my new sand washed, letting it dry in containers in my out building (at almost 100 degrees it should not take long).

I will salvage some of the existing sand from the tank (maybe the first inch or so) and then I'll wash the left over sand and left it dry for storage.

Have I left anythign out?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No one?I really need to know about the "under gravel filter thing"?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I wouldn't use the UGF. I think it would stop the water movement between the sand above and below. Also it would stop travel for the CUC.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
Personally, I wouldn't use the UGF. I think it would stop the water movement between the sand above and below. Also it would stop travel for the CUC.

What is CUC?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

cuc= cleanup crew

And I second the no undergravel filter, you dont want to use that kind of filter for sw.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

U can use the plates for keeping the rocks off the glass but u would probably be better off getting some egg create from the hardware store. Its cheep
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
cuc= cleanup crew

And I second the no undergravel filter, you dont want to use that kind of filter for sw.
Wasn't going to use it as a filter, just as a "buffer" between the rock and glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird79 View Post
U can use the plates for keeping the rocks off the glass but u would probably be better off getting some egg create from the hardware store. Its cheep
Tried that once never got it to work right for me.

So, it's NOT ok for me to use the grate that came with my tank to keep the rock off the bottom?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont see anything wrong with it. But thats just my opinion.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldnt do it just set the rock on the glass or go with the egg-crate you can make a frame work from PVC also to set the rock on thats what i did but the egg crate is much cheaper and easy to do The UGF grate will bow under the weight of your rock making it unstable IMO

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I wouldnt do it just set the rock on the glass or go with the egg-crate you can make a frame work from PVC also to set the rock on thats what i did but the egg crate is much cheaper and easy to do The UGF grate will bow under the weight of your rock making it unstable IMO

That's the kind of info I'm looking for, Thanks.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com