Setting up new tank, question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got my tank, preparing everything to set the new one up but have a question.....

The undergravel filter? I know it serves no purpose in a SW tank, BUT, can I use the plates themselves to keep the rock off the bottom of the tank and if so do I put any sand under the grates or just straight on the bottom?

Got my 55 gal up and running, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates so maybe tomorrow I'll start putting the LR from the main into it. (then comes the fun part, chasing the little fishies around the tank for hours:facepalm:.)

I've got my new sand washed, letting it dry in containers in my out building (at almost 100 degrees it should not take long).

I will salvage some of the existing sand from the tank (maybe the first inch or so) and then I'll wash the left over sand and left it dry for storage.

Have I left anythign out?:hide:

Personally, I wouldn't use the UGF. I think it would stop the water movement between the sand above and below. Also it would stop travel for the CUC.

cuc= cleanup crew

And I second the no undergravel filter, you dont want to use that kind of filter for sw. :)

U can use the plates for keeping the rocks off the glass but u would probably be better off getting some egg create from the hardware store. Its cheep

cuc= cleanup crew

And I second the no undergravel filter, you dont want to use that kind of filter for sw. :)

Wasn't going to use it as a filter, just as a "buffer" between the rock and glass

U can use the plates for keeping the rocks off the glass but u would probably be better off getting some egg create from the hardware store. Its cheep

Tried that once never got it to work right for me.

So, it's NOT ok for me to use the grate that came with my tank to keep the rock off the bottom?:hide:

I dont see anything wrong with it. But thats just my opinion.

I wouldnt do it just set the rock on the glass or go with the egg-crate you can make a frame work from PVC also to set the rock on thats what i did but the egg crate is much cheaper and easy to do The UGF grate will bow under the weight of your rock making it unstable IMO

I wouldnt do it just set the rock on the glass or go with the egg-crate you can make a frame work from PVC also to set the rock on thats what i did but the egg crate is much cheaper and easy to do The UGF grate will bow under the weight of your rock making it unstable IMO

That's the kind of info I'm looking for, Thanks.:thanks:

I started moving stuff last night. today I took the overflow off the back of the tank, along with the pipes & such. My tank must be in real good shape because the coraline algea is THICK, and all over. Took alot of scrubbing to get it off.

Got about 1/2 of my rock into the 55 now and it's going to be packed but I think I can get most of it in there.

Thinking about heavy duty wheels on my stand this time, that way I can scoot it out and clean behind it. Any problems with that?

Be sure to leave room for the fish lol with to much rock the water flow suffers it's a pain to find the right balance.
The wheels with only 4 points of contact id be concerned about stability it can be done. you may want to skirt the bottom of the stand to hide those big wheels you will need to lower the water level when moving to avoid spills. Any youngsters about that may push your tank around?

dralarms said:
I started moving stuff last night. today I took the overflow off the back of the tank, along with the pipes & such. My tank must be in real good shape because the coraline algea is THICK, and all over. Took alot of scrubbing to get it off.

Got about 1/2 of my rock into the 55 now and it's going to be packed but I think I can get most of it in there.

Thinking about heavy duty wheels on my stand this time, that way I can scoot it out and clean behind it. Any problems with that?

IMO,you would be courting disaster trying to move a 55 gallon tank on wheels once it's fully operational.The weight of the rock and water and sand would strain the tank and stand.Not to mention movement inside the tank messing up your coral placement ,etc.

IMO,you would be courting disaster trying to move a 55 gallon tank on wheels once it's fully operational.The weight of the rock and water and sand would strain the tank and stand.Not to mention movement inside the tank messing up your coral placement ,etc.

Appreciate the thought but I'm not going to run races with it, just move it forward a little to be able to clean up the dust and such behind it.

Oh and it's the 120H that has wheels.

Finally got the new tank in the house on the stand, only used 12 wheels, but looking at it I think it will be fine. To make a long story short, the tank gas been beside a ac vent for 8 or 9 years, salt creep & such killing the vent in very short order. I have contacted to have the vent moved so I can actually move the tank 8 to 10 inches away from the door. Now sure when the ac guy will be able to do this so I either have to wait on him to get done, or make a way to move the tank once loaded, hence the wheel idea.

Now this is not a factory stand, I built this stand using plans found here on this site and you could drive a truck over it and not be afraid of it coming apart.

Searched lowes on line and can't find it. Do you know what those idiots call egg crate?:hide:

now i have NO clue what they call egg crates but the idiots comment made me laugh.

try walmart... should be able to snatch some from them

Back
Top Bottom