Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2003, 11:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Setting up prizm skimmer

I have a Red Sea Prizm protein skimmer that I just bought. My tank is only on it's third week of cycling and I know I don't need it yet. When will I start to need it Just to see how it worked I tryed hooking it up and I got it primed and started to play with the flow adjustment some. Do I want all the foam to flow into the container or just some Any help on setting it up would be great or even a picture of one running would be even better.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't start using mine until after the cycle was finished, you may hear different opinions on when to start it. It may take a few days to "break in" before it starts producing a foam. But, here is where I had troubles with the Prizm. You want to adjust the flow (black piece on top of intake tube) so that only a really dry foam bubbles up out of the neck and into the collection cup. If you have the flow turned too high, a wet foam will come out and just fill the cup right away. I was only ever able to get a good dry foam (will have the most protein, noticeable as it will turn brown in the cup) by having it opened only a little bit, and would have to watch as it would often skim really wet if I tried to go higher.

Needless to say, with all the annoying tweaking, it is now in the garage in favor of running skimmerless. I hope you have better luck! If you still need a picture, I could set it up and take one, just let me know.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'll give a shot and if I still need help I will post again. This definteley will help me because before I didn't know what I was looking for

Tags
prizm, setting up, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com