Setting up prizm skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfer1712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Red Sea Prizm protein skimmer that I just bought. My tank is only on it's third week of cycling and I know I don't need it yet. When will I start to need it :?: Just to see how it worked I tryed hooking it up and I got it primed and started to play with the flow adjustment some. Do I want all the foam to flow into the container or just some :?: Any help on setting it up would be great or even a picture of one running would be even better. :?

I didn't start using mine until after the cycle was finished, you may hear different opinions on when to start it. It may take a few days to "break in" before it starts producing a foam. But, here is where I had troubles with the Prizm. You want to adjust the flow (black piece on top of intake tube) so that only a really dry foam bubbles up out of the neck and into the collection cup. If you have the flow turned too high, a wet foam will come out and just fill the cup right away. I was only ever able to get a good dry foam (will have the most protein, noticeable as it will turn brown in the cup) by having it opened only a little bit, and would have to watch as it would often skim really wet if I tried to go higher.

Needless to say, with all the annoying tweaking, it is now in the garage in favor of running skimmerless. I hope you have better luck! If you still need a picture, I could set it up and take one, just let me know.

I'll give a shot and if I still need help I will post again. This definteley will help me because before I didn't know what I was looking for :? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom