Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay, so no valves needed. Do you run some kind of tubing between the overflow and the sump, or PVC? I've seen both, any pro's or con's to one over the other? I read that you will have 2-3 gallons drain back if the pump shuts off, with my design there should be about 4.67 gallons of overhead. 27 X 10 X 4 / 231 = 4.67

Should I run the Mag 9.5 or the 7? The standard Lifereef overflow maxes at 600GPH.

The Mag 9.5 pushes 800GPH @ 4', that is 200 more than the Lifereef overflow can handle. Will this cause a problem without something to throttle it back?

The Mag 7 pushes 475GPH @ 4', the Alpha 170 skimmer pulls 1,600lph or 422GPH per my calculations.

Yes, that is the skimmer. It is made by Royal Exclusiv for Vertex, they are the people who build Bubble King skimmers. I have seen three different footprints for that skimmer, one person who own it stated that it would fit in 7.75" X 12.5", but it should fit in my sump either way. I won't put in my baffling until I have the skimmer in hand. I really want to own the best, and these are supposedly built nicer and run quieter than anything else. Very easy to adjust, and the collection cup just lifts off. I have not owned any skimmers yet, but supposedly most have to be screwed off, and that is somewhat difficult in a tight stand, which mine is. Are there any equivalent Reef Octopus cone skimmers to this model? Same specs, etc...

I already have two reef capable LED light pendents on my tank, which are suppose to be equivalent to a 150W metal halide each. I can't verify this, as I don't own or have access to a PAR meter.

In the end, I may do none of this, and use the money to upgrade to a larger aquarium, I really want a 125-150 gallon tank. I'm just trying to learn, and plan it out right now.

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it!

Jared

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i use basic flexible drain tubing that you see in the LFS. pool stores use it also.
the pro to this is it can be moved if the need arises.

you'll have 2-3 gallons draining back? i would not trust that measurement, as every setup is different.

you can safely choke a pump back at it's exhaust port. this will save electricity and lengthen the pumps life.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got that information from this webpage:

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

"Typically, you will only have 2 or 3 gallons drain down when the pump is off, so make sure there is enough room in your sump to hold an extra 3 gallons or more. You can figure out how much room you have with this equation [measured in inches]: L x W x H / 231 = Total Gallons"

If that information is incorrect, how many gallons should I plan for? I can make the sump taller, but longer and wider are not an option.

Jared
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, if you don't drill the return below the water line, you'll have as much water leave the tank as it would take for the return to break siphon. in other words, down at the very bottom of your return nozzle, where you have it aimed at some coral or rock work perhaps....how deep is that? from there up will drain out when the power goes out due to back siphon.
the planning should be on more than just extra space in the sump.
you can make it quite minimal if you do that simple step.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (110 Gallon) Internal Cone Protein Skimmer
Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would recommend you create a third chamber to house a refugium. It will help with nitrate issues.

I too like the flexible tubing. I've seen some people use longer tubing to reduce the flow rate of a pump as well. But adding ball valves to your pumps are an inexpensive alternative.

Tags
setting up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com