Setting Up the Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As you can see, I am new to this. With your help so far, I have gotten this far: Added the live sand and r/o water and the salt. The water is cloudy at this time. I also went out and purchased a Seaclone 100 skimmer and an Aquaclear powerhead. Questions: Do I attach the skimmer and the powerhead now or is there a waiting period? I was also told that I can cycle the tank with two damsels. When do I add the damsels? Again, this is a 29 gallon tank. Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you, Patti.

Hi Patti: I am researching my first saltwater tank, so I am not too far behind you... :D Take a look at the articles section of this website. There is a good article about cycling your tank without fish. That is what I plan to do, rather than subject a damsel to that just because they are hardy. Your LFS will lose the sale of the damsels, but oh well... you'll be able to get the fish you really want when your tank is ready. I've heard the damsels are aggressive too... I have aggressive freshwater fish. I plan to get SW fish that play well with others!

Thank you Tigerlily and NaH20. I have read many of these threads in the past week, which have been helpful. I will read these three now. Thanks. Patti

Just read the three links--very informative/helpful. I decided to go with the shrimp method. BTW, does this shrimp cycling method work with FW tanks? Now I just need to know if I should run the skimmer while doing the cycling. Any advice? Thanks, Patti.

cycling

Your can start the skimmer anytime it probble wont put out much waist for awhile. Unless your cureing live rock in there.

Hope this helps Dewey

Patti,
Yes, the shrimp method will work with any tank. The only thing it does is produce the ammonia needed to get the cycle going. Since it decomposes slowly, it keeps producing ammonia which continues to feed the bacteria ensuring that you have a good culture going when you introduce the fish.

Back
Top Bottom