Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon high tank that i want to set up saltwater...i was wondering if using just a skilter/filter would be good enough filtration???..........any help thanks....Josh

JTAM963 said:
I have a 20 gallon high tank that i want to set up saltwater...i was wondering if using just a skilter/filter would be good enough filtration???..........any help thanks....Josh

Opinions vary on these; but it will depend on what type of tank you want to keep - you will probably need some lr at least. Can you be more specific as to what you might want in your tank?

I have a skilter on my qt tank, it produces a little skimmage. I agree, get a decent amount of rock. Thats your best filtration.
And don't overstock.
Have fun!! :)

I wasnt positive on what to put in there....what would a good fish for a beginner saltwater tank.. i currently house two oscars in a 75 gallon...4 assorted cichlids in a 35 any advice

JTAM963 said:
I wasnt positive on what to put in there....what would a good fish for a beginner saltwater tank.. i currently house two oscars in a 75 gallon...4 assorted cichlids in a 35 any advice

Convert the 75 to SW. :lol:

In a 20 gal. SW you are not going to be able to have a lot of fish. Two or three small fish at most. The skilter will work fine if you are just starting our and want ot see it you can keep the fish alive. As Qshark stated...don't overstock. Good Luck!! Lando

Would i be able to put a couple clowns in the 20...or i was thinking of two or three tangs..any help.......

The tangs are a big NO. 20 gals is way too small for any tang. They require lots of free swimming room in order to be happy. Skip those. A couple of clowns would be just fine. However, make sure you get a "mated pair" from the LFS. Clowns can tend to be crabby and very territorial so you want two that have paired off. You can also look at gobies or a royal gramma. I love mine. Throw in about 20 lbs of live rock and go for a cleaner shrimp. You still have lots of options...Lando

cleaner shrimp are great, hardy, active and can be hand fed and i think they are pretty cool lookin

crage34 said:
cleaner shrimp are great, hardy, active and can be hand fed and i think they are pretty cool lookin
Great Idea as well as a few snails, hermits and maybe a small serpent star. A pair of mated clowns would be cool! :)

Back
Top Bottom