Setup Advice from my Local LFS, is this OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am about to purchase and setup my reef tank to let it start cycling. While arranging my purchase, the LFS I was at said they will provide cycled SW, LS, and LR from the store and I won't have to worry about all of that. I've put alot of research into cycling the tank at startup and then these guys basically say no need, take all of our stuff, test it for a few days and then bring us a sample. Should I be wary of this LFS? They are SW only and have an incredible coral assortment so by looking, I have to assume they know what they're doing, but this just sounds questionable.

If they sold you fully cured rock and live sand out of 1 of their established tank, you would probably only have a very small and short cycle. I would not use "used water". The reason we do water changes is to replenish trace elements and dillute contaminants. You would basically be starting a tank with water which has depleted trace elements and was polluted by waste. There is very little good bacteria free floating in the water which helps filter the water. The majority of the bacteria is in the rocks, in/on the sand and coating all the surfaces inside the tank.

What he said.. Perhaps you misheard their comment on the SW. Sounds like a sweet deal

BTW: 30 days to Flyers pre-season kickoff

I got similar answers from my LFS as well that they would provide my with FUlly Cured rock and I wouldn't have to really cycled the Tank I can even take fish home on the same day????? Is there something that LFS know that we don't I've heard this numerous time through different LFS and other Threads about our LFS doing this quick Cycle? I mean I understand they need to get the product out of the store to sell but come on if it's not the right way to do it then don't force us SW lovers and Beginners to fail.....

In the case of cured rock all your doing, in essence, is changing tanks. Other than the transport it's the same as you upgrading from one tank to another in your house. You move everything from one to the other, monitor the param's for a few days and you're done.

Many things could go wrong, die off from being out too long; disease from one tank given to the other; etc;etc

But fundamentally it's just moving one cycled tank into another aquarium

That's a great way to start for the impatient. I wish I was able to take advantage fo that when I started my tank. The 3 weeks of cloudy water (1 of which I couldn't even see my LR).

As stated, used water is useless. Insist on aged (24 hours) SW mix.

I agree with the rest.
To put it in other words, you are basically taking the beneficial bacteria (already in the cured LR and sand) and putting it into your new water/tank.
I would fill my tank with SW at the correct salinity (leave some room to add sand and the LR), then get it up to the temp you want, head to the LFS and get the LR and established sand take it home and add it to your tank.

Only place I'd differ is I'd get new sand, ask the LFS for a cup or 2 to see my new stuff. Unless I was sure they kept their 'live sand' in a non-stocked area. Why start w/ dirty sand

Thanks for clarifying! I forgot to add that, Cap!

Back
Top Bottom