Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
OK, Let’s start from the beginning.

1: Get water moving in the tank and finish filling it up. Let's get your setup running before you start worrying about Skimmers and Rocks. Normally I would say wait and cycle with the rocks but since you already have water in the tank... Those pumps/power heads would not have been my choice for water movement; they will do since you have them.

2: Ok now for your sump. I don't know what kind of skimmer you plan on running, but a Remora or the one linked above to ebay are not nearly large enough for a 220G tank. Even both together wouldn't be nearly enough for a tank that large! Of course you could run a light bio-load and go skimmer-less. I know a zoanthid farmer who runs skimmer-less and while his water is NAS-TEE his zoas are beautiful. *shrugs* OK for a tank that large you will need a large overflow (or 2) and a decent sized return pump. I will assume you do not wish to drill the 55 so a submersible pump is in order. I would recommend a MAG18 or MAG24 with 2 - 1 1/2" overflow kits or 3 - 1" overflow kits. Or Ideally you should return the tank for a Drilled tank which would be cheaper than buying the overflows. OK, so you are going to have to divide your sump into sections for bubble control. There are several ways to do this but the easiest being acrylic because you can cut it to size and silicone the crap out of it get it to stay where you want it. Glass baffles cut at a frame shop or Lowes actually bond better but generally become more expensive if you have to pay for them to be cut. Something like this:

Or this:

The possibilities are literally limitless. Just decide what suits your needs the best and go for it.

3: If you are going to run a skimmer it needs to be a big one. There are several options, none-of-which are cheap. If you want recommendations just, ask but initially I would not worry about it. Until this system get up, running, and cycled it will be fine without one.

IF this were a 6’ long tank I would consider drilling the side of the sump and using an external pump for the return. This would reduce electric consumption and heat. I would also seriously consider (if this was a new tank purchase) trying to get a tank that is already drilled with overflows, as siphon overflows are more prone to failure.

I hope this info helps and I’ll try to answer any other questions you may have.

R-

Old 01-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to oorob00
I really dont care about drilling the 55. i have a dremel and can get the bits to drill it. I just need to know where. Also I cannot take the 55 back because i have no clue were i got it from. It currently has fish in it but i am going to be moving them to a 75 gallon. Also i am just trying to get a list together of all that i will need as far as the skimmer and whatever else i need together. Also what should i do to cycle the tank since you say to wait on the rock?

Old 01-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to oorob00
Also with the sump am i putting anything in there as a filter media or just using it to put the skimmer and heaters in? Also where would be a good place to get the skimmer, MAG24 and the overflows? Also if you could hit me up on AIM(s10lwrider) that would be great so i dont have to wait forever to get a responce. Thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for jumping in Sumphead.

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
No sweat tanker glad to help-

-Rob when I said return the tank for a Reef Ready drilled tank, I was talking about the 220 not the 55. As far as where to drill it that will depend on which configuration you decide.

No, no filter material is needed in the sump but again it is optional. This will depend on your overall plan for the tank (i.e. Fish Only, Reef, Lighting, bioload, and on and on). If anything using a large amount of live rock using the berlin method of filtration no additional filter material is needed save perhaps more ruck or rock rubble in the sump. You are also getting a great deal of biological filtration from your sand. Lots of Rock and an efficient skimmer is really all that is required for decent filtration. Again, your plans for the tank dictate this.

I look at IMing you but I'll have to get AIM first.

HTH,
R-

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com