Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to oorob00
Setup Help and Info needed

I have a 220 gallon tall tank. I am in the process of cycling the tank as of yesterday the 13th of January. So far i have put in 300 pounds of play sand from home depot, filled the water 3/4 the way full and put in 150 gallon worth of salt. Right now i don't have any water circulation going nor heat. I am getting 4-850 GPH power heads on Monday along with 2-300 watt heaters. Should i go ahead and start up the power heads or just let the water set? I plan on going the shimp route to get everything going unless someone has a better way. I also plan on adding live rock once all the levels get to normal. Also i am looking for a good sump/skimmer because i was told to use that by my LFS because i have a canopy and cannot hang a skimmer on the tank. I was looking at this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT is this one ok or what? I am open to any info that you all can give and would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Setup Help and Info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oorob00
I have a 220 gallon tall tank. I am in the process of cycling the tank as of yesterday the 13th of January. So far i have put in 300 pounds of play sand from home depot, filled the water 3/4 the way full and put in 150 gallon worth of salt. Right now i don't have any water circulation going nor heat.
Technically, there is nothing cycling the tank at this time. Cycling Article

Quote:
I am getting 4-850 GPH power heads on Monday along with 2-300 watt heaters. Should i go ahead and start up the power heads or just let the water set?
Do you really mean 850 gph powerheads, or model 850s? It's hard to place Maxi Jet 1200s (295 gph) in the tank where they don't disturb coral and dig holes in the sand.

Quote:
I plan on going the shimp route to get everything going unless someone has a better way. I also plan on adding live rock once all the levels get to normal.
The only levels that will need to be normal are temperature and salinity, once again, there is no cycle right now, the LR will cycle your tank. Check out www.liverocks.com for some great rock.

Quote:
Also i am looking for a good sump/skimmer because i was told to use that by my LFS because i have a canopy and cannot hang a skimmer on the tank. I was looking at this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT is this one ok or what? I am open to any info that you all can give and would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
That sump is WAY WAY too small for a 220 gal tank. That's too small for my 75 gal tank.

Also:

Are you using RO/DI water?
What lighting systems do you plan to use?
What do you plan to keep.

HTH

Old 01-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #3

These are the power heads that i got http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Also i should just use live rock that has not been cured to cycle the tank? Also what sump/skimmer should i get?

Also i was told that i could just use tap water by my LFS because i am just doing a FOWLR tank. Right now i just have 2-48" incandescent lights.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #4

Also which type of live rock do i want. I went to liverock.com and they have 4 different ones: Coral, Gulf, Keys and Live Base Rock. Which one do i want or does it matter?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LR from LR.com is great but the choice is yours. Gulf rock will have the most hitchhikers(crabs, shrimp, snails, urchins etc.). The keys will have the best color from coralline and a few hitchers. The coral rock will have a substantial amount of natural corals already established on it. The base rock is the low cost alternative to the other three(it is not dead/dry rock). Most people get a mix of rock to incorporate all the advantages of each. The base rock will eventually seed from the other rock and share the hitchers. Contact Zack in the LR.com sponsor forum for the best help.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regardless of what your lfs says, I wouldn't use tap water even for a FOWLR. Too many problems IMO.
If you want the best of both worlds, split the lr 50/50..half gulf, and half keys. Zack will do it for you. This will cycle your tank.
Get a good skimmer, maybe a Remora.
You might want to reconsider the incandescent lighting. Go with pc or VHO, or at the very least, NO.
I would get a 55G sump so you will have enough space for equipment and a larger volume of water to work with for your bio load. These are just some ideas. HTH

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 06:25 PM   #7

Is there anyway to convert an exsisting 55gallon to a sump? Also i have already used tapwater and have already added the salt so i am going to keep it as is.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can convert a 55G to a sump. You will just need an overflow box and a pump. You can also put a skimmer, heater, and reef rubble in there for good filtration. This would give you a large water volume for your tank.

Mike
Old 01-15-2005, 02:44 AM   #9

So i wouldnt have to do anything special to the 55g? Just set it up and get a overflow box, pump, bioballs or reef rubble and a skimmer?
Old 01-15-2005, 03:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as the sump goes, everyone has their own preference. I bought a wet/dry and converted it into a Berlin sump. Don't use the bioballs. Use the reef rubble as your bio filtration. Just make sure the reef rubble is completely submerged.
Send a pm to Sumphead. he has desiged his own sumps and would have more experience on that topic and can probably send you a diagram. I bought one because I didn't have time to DIY one. If you DIY this, you will need to make sure it is setup correctly or you may end up having problems. The wet/dry I bought comes with everything including the pump and overflow, which was cheaper as a package.
lando has some pictures of his sump (wet/dry) with reef rubble in it if you want to see what it looks like.

Mike

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com