setup opinions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks. I'm setting up a 75g saltwater. It's going to start as a fowlr and then branch into some corals down the road as I get more experienced (this is my first tank). So as of right now, I have a very incomplete setup as you'll see. I have the tank, stand, wet dry, return pump, and 2 maxijet 900s all up and running. As of right now I have 40lbs of live sand and planning on diving for a whole lot more this weekend weather permitting. I'll also be trying to bring back some live rock again weather permitting. So I need opinions on what I have so far and what else I'll be needing.

Here's the lights I'm interested in. Opinions?
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_Orbit.html (4x96 PC)

Total flow on the tank right now is somewhere around 660-800gph. Good enough or put another maxijet in there?

What total weight should I look for in sand (deep sand bed)? In live rock?

What kind of protein skimmer should i look for? I'd prefer and in sump kind and have about 24 inches of clearance in the stand. Any models you all recommend?

I believe that's all the questions for now although I'm sure there will be more:) Thanks!

I think your flow is good. At least 4" for dsb(more if you can) you should try for 1-2lbs of liverock per gallon. Are you allowed to take stuff from the ocean? Here in Canada you're not alowed to.

I'm almost certain that I'm allowed to take sand. The rock on the other hand... not so sure. We'll just hope I don't get caught:) Thanks for the reply.

Excellent choice on the lighting - I have the exact same unit; it was expensive, but I actually found it brand new on e-bay at a great price (more than $150 less than anywhere else I'd seen it.)

As for the sand, I would suggest between 1 and 2 pounds per gallon - the same as was suggested for the live rock. But don't add all of the sand at one time. I don't think that will be a problem for you, since you said that you had already gotten about 40 lbs, which I am assuming is already in the tank. And even though I'm sure you've heard/read/seen it a thousand times, please remember to cycle the tank before buying any high dollar fish or corals.

As for the skimmer, I would look around for one that you can run in-sump. I have the Wet/Dry 75 filter with the skimmer already attached to it. I bought that whole system about 6 months after my aquarium was set up because the hang-on-tank version of protein skimmer that I had originally purchased took up to much space.

Don't forget to buy a heater!

Ebay huh? I'll have to look around some more because those things are darn expensive! I'll actually probably not get a heater. If anything, I'd need a chiller. I'm in south florida and so far the water is sticking right around 78-80 in the air conditioning. Think that'll be sufficient?

that light is awesome, i have it too... i definitly highly reccommend it. 78-80 is a good temp for tanks, but you may need to get a heater and/or a chiller to regulate temperature, you dont want it boucing around, because as temp changes so do oxygen levels in the water, which can quickly lead to fish deaths. i am assuming that your house is temp controlled, so these will just be backup precautions, and are still very important.

as far as protien skimmers go, You could get an Aqua C Remora with an In-sump kit. most people like those alot. as far as stricktly in-sump skimmers go, I am not familar with whats good or whats not.

I would up the amount of water flow in your tank. you will want somewhere between 750-1400 gph I would purchase 2 Maxi Jet 1200's and replace the 900s (use the 900 when mixing new water over night.)

also, you will need between 100 and 125 lbs of live rock to get adequate filtration. (just to let you know :wink: )

Well... a chiller is unfortunately out of the question. No money or room for one. I know you can make a cheap one with a cooler but there's literaly no room for one. I see where a heater could be a good idea in the winter possibly even though it rarely gets below 70 outside here... So a heater it is then.

RocketSeason said:
as far as protien skimmers go, You could get an Aqua C Remora with an In-sump kit...

I'll check out that skimmer. Thanks.

*edit* Hey where do I find the in-sump kit? I'm looking around online. thanks.

about the chiller, i dont have room/$$ for one either- if during the summer it gets too toasty in my tank, i just run fans across the top of the water in the tank, works out pretty well in a pinch.. just in case :)

Back
Top Bottom