Setup Plans, need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyberkiller

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's my plans so far for my SW tank. I haven't bought the skimmer yet so please lemme know if it'll do the job or if there is a better one I should look into getting. Definetly looking at a hang-on, since there will be no sump/plumbing.

29 Gallon Tank
#25lbs of Southdown Sand
#? Live Rock
CPR bakpak II skimmer
Won Pro-Heat Titanium 200watt Heater w/ easy temp control

This would be a FOWLR to start.

Now I had the tank, put in the southdown sand and filled with water. And that's where im out now, haven't added salt yet. The water is milky/clouded even after 24 hours. If the water doesn't clear, then I may just drain it take the sand out and start again with a different substrate. Everyone I had talked too tho, said the southdown would work fine and that the liverock would easily seed it too become live sand.

It can take up to a week to clear. If you light it, it will be quicker. The smallest grains of sand basically need to build bacteria on them to sink. When your tank is new, sand storms are really common, after a month or so, enough bacteria has developed that it is rare.

Also, different live sand adds diversity of organisms.

will the bacteria grow even tho I didn't add the salt in yet? It's currently just freshwater

Freshwater + Southdown Sand

Sand has been in for 3 days.

tank.jpg

shoulda added sand before you put in the water...
put the lights on and drop in your shrimp...
if thats the way u gonna go !

That is about right. The bacteria will begin to colonize on the smaller particles of sand and they will settle out. It may take up to another week. No worries mate

I would change the skimmer to an Aqua C remora. You will ne alot more happy with it over the CPR!

I have no experience with a CPR, but from what i've heard it's not a bad choice, especially since you have such a small tank.

don't remove the sand...that just makes it worse. it doesn't look like you rinsed the sand first like you're supposed to.

I'd drain off all the water, then put a bowl in the sand and refill the tank with freshwater by pouring into the bowl, which minimizes stirring up the dust in the sand. then add your salt, a shrimp and let the cycle begin.

here's a link to CPR's with cosmetic blemishes...so they're a little cheaper than retail: http://amekaaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=_SECONDS

Only draw back to the CPR is that it uses an air venturi that will clog monhly with salt creep and need to be cleaned along with the rest of the airlines on the power head. it is also a little louder than the remora which uses spray injection that is virtually maintnence free andquieter. The remora also skims better IMO.

I have yet to find a remora that isn't about $200, vs. $109 for a CPR. For a dinky 29gallon tank that can only house 2-3 fish, that much of a skimmer seems like overkill...unless you think you'll upgrade to a larger tank in a couple years (or less).

People told me the Prizm sucks...but its sure pulling some nasty stuff outta my water.

I am using a seaclone 150 right now, and have had no problems with it. I empty a nasty cup full about every 3-4 days. I will however buy a Remora as soon as possible. The seaclone was what I bought when I knew nothing, and trusted the lfs for all my knowledge. 8O

Anyway, it has worked fine so far, but I want to get the best, now that I know. :wink:

malkore said:
People told me the Prizm sucks...but its sure pulling some nasty stuff outta my water.
I'm really glad I bought a Prizm before seeing what other people had to say about it.. while I had it, it was a great little skimmer and I will continue to recommend it to people with small tanks on a tight budget.

Back
Top Bottom