Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setup, where is the order? garf Gunk????

OK, lets assume my tank is plumbed and tested, water flow is good.

I have a tank, sump and refuge full of good saltwater.

I need to strate with Live Rock, Sand and Macro Algee. The live rock needs to be ordered and cured, sand is in a bag, and algee is at a store.

Is it ok to place sand in the tank and refunge now and let it settle? Maybe some dry base rock from the LFS?

Then buy and cure my live rock in the main tank, sump and refuge? I am thinking all 3 just to have smaller amounts in each for ease of cleaning and working it.

Once cured, add Garf's Gunk, and Macro Algee.

After time here begin with the cleaners and start Softies and fish?

Does that sound like the proper order of things?

WarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Buy cured live rock!!!

AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Why? You only need cured LR if you're placing it into a stocked tank. Uncured rocks cured in a tank with good flow, skimmers, some light, will probably have more of its original diversity than purchased cured rock. Rock from LR.com is supposedly sometimes delivered so fresh that it doesn't show much of a cycle, which is optimal for conserving all the rock diversity.

WarDaddy, your timeline sounds good to me, timing dependent on water quality, algae growth, etc. You could start adding clean-up crew as soon as it's cycled.
75 gal SeaClear System II wet/dry filter
4 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Clown Loach
2 Pearl Gourami (m/f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
Physa and Malaysian Trumpet snails
Biotoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the same situation as you, and am finalizing my plans for a fuge. In my research I have run across conflicting opinions of Garf's stuff.

Take a look:

While I don't advocate any position, I think that most people will tell you that Bob Fenner, who wrote "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist," is a pretty good expert.

Here is a quote:
<GARF's products are almost uniformly inferior... some of them outright hoaxes. Look for EcoSystem Aquarium IMO... The various etailers, most larger retailers sell this, other mud products... by CaribSea, Kent... Bob Fenner>

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Maybe someone with some experience can chime it...

David03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Garf Grunge and Miracle mud (Ecosystems) are two completely different products. The Grunge is a "seed" product that add bugs. The miracle mud is a biomedia/nutrient product for macro algaes. Basically like peatmoss for house plants.

In terms of seeding the fuge, if the tank is anywhere mature there's no need, the bugs/worms will migrate on their own. If a new set up, I still wouldn't bother. Whatever you add to the main or fuge (LR wise) the fauna will be interchangable with each.

What's the hurry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com