SG and Quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Outlaw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, a week and a half ago I got a pair of Banggai Cardinal from a store 2 hrs away. I drip acclimated them over the course of an hour, and they seemed fine, but wouldn't eat. All parameters were good, but they both died over the course of 5-6 days.

I contacted the store and they said it sounded like I did everything right.

EXCEPT that my salinity was too high (I had it at 1.0245). They recommended it in the range of 1.017-1.021.

My question is, would the salinity kill them (they never looked shocked or breathing heavy)?

Is it advisable to add new fish to the QT each time at low salinity and bring it up to match the DT over the course of their quarantine?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In the research, I have done it is not just your parameters you should consider. You need to keep in mind that the lfs parameters and salinity are going to be different than your QT or DT. It's a good idea to match the SG as close to theirs as possible. They will adapt better if you do. The SG they gave you is usually what they keep their tanks.
Do you have corals?If not a lower SG is fine. Otherwise yes you can bring up the SG in your QT gradually to match your DT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do not currently have corals but I plan to, in fact these were to be my first fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those fish in general are hard to keep for some reason. Your lfs runs their SG low to keep parasites at bay. You did everything right. Don't let them control your SG, you make that decision.

Did you check that the salinity matched before you added them? I doubt an hour would bring you up from 1.017 to 1.024

I did not. I was doing 2 drops a sec for 30 min and 4 drops a sec for 30 min. I know the volume at least doubled.

Wouldn't there be some outward sign if that was the problem?

They said they are getting some more on Tuesday and if I was interested they could possibly "cut me a break"; on a couple.

I responded that I would not be able to get there until the weekend. I figure I'll give them one more shot (slim pickings in Mississippi), and if they hold them, get a real thorough examination of what and when they're eating, all parameters etc.

I don't know if it's the best idea, but their store is clean and well kept, fish look good, good coral selection... Or maybe I just want Banggai redemption...

Really appreciate the comments, and if you want to throw some advice my way (how would you approach this?), I would appreciate it. I just want to get this right.

This is my potential stocking list. The folks at the store suggested Banggai's as the first addition. What say you? :)

Goby/shrimp pair
Flame or flasher wrasse
Blenny
Maybe a court jester goby
Bristle tooth tang
Pair of ocellaris
Banggais
Chromis or anthias (3?)

Back
Top Bottom