Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SG question

My new 20 gallon tank is well into its cycle. Ammonia is 4ppm and nitrites are .50ppm. I'll be thinking about livestock soon but still have time for some more questions. I have the sg at 1.024. Is this good for fowlr. Also, how close do I have to keep this number in order for my fish to be happy. Next question...I have live sand and cured base rock. I'm using the shrimp cycle method. When the cycle finishes, does that mean the rock is also now live ? I'm also running a HOB filter, skimmer, and two power heads. Is this too much overkill for a tank this size or the more the better is good ?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansouci01 View Post
My new 20 gallon tank is well into its cycle. Ammonia is 4ppm and nitrites are .50ppm. I'll be thinking about livestock soon but still have time for some more questions. I have the sg at 1.024. Is this good for fowlr. Also, how close do I have to keep this number in order for my fish to be happy. Next question...I have live sand and cured base rock. I'm using the shrimp cycle method. When the cycle finishes, does that mean the rock is also now live ? I'm also running a HOB filter, skimmer, and two power heads. Is this too much overkill for a tank this size or the more the better is good ?
1.024 is perfect. I run mine around there. You should pick a number and keep your salinity as close as possible. So, I'd keep it where you're at, but it may swing a bit (down to 1.023 or up to 1.025), and it's fine. Just as long as it doesn't go from like 1.024 up to 1.03 because you matched the water change water wrong. I haven't checked my sg in a while to be honest, and all is well.

Yup, when the cycle is over, your rock will be live. But as your tank ages, the rock will change colors and start growing coralline algae and really look nice

The equipment you have should he good. What GPH Do your powerheads put out though? The only thing I'd be worried is if you had too much flow for your fish

Old 09-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a Hydor koralia 240 and 425. Probably should have both the same size but I had the 425 laying around. Here's a picture before the skimmer was installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 007.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	200170  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansouci01 View Post
I have a Hydor koralia 240 and 425. Probably should have both the same size but I had the 425 laying around. Here's a picture before the skimmer was installed
Sounds good! Tank looks nice too!

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com