Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Shells in a saltwater tank???

Ok so I have just set up a salt water tank. It is a 55 Gallon with a 402 powerhead, Rena XP3 and a Emperor 400. Substrate is about 15 ponds of crushed coral and there is about 5 pounds or live rock in there currently.

My questions is that I have collected some sea shells off beaches during holidays and was wondering if it would be safe to put them in the tank as decorations?

PS. I have collected the shells over a long time period. Something like 12 years. So some of them are pretty old.

Keenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes you could but they will probably just have algae grow on them at first and then there is coraline algae that may cover them with a hard encrusting algae. so if you really like them I would not put them in the tank. Or just try a few to see how it goes.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the advise. I think I will try a few just to see.
Keenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I started my tank w/CC but it gets dirty, limits a clean up crew, wich traps a lot of funk in it, did I saw it was a pain to clean? LOL! Well, I would make sure CC is what you definitely want, before you add anything else. I had to remove 40LBs of CC and sift out the 30LBs of LS I already had in my tank.

One more thing, please do not cycle your tank with poor, helpless fish....
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, shells, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com