Should a skimmer be completely cleaned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting the Remora pro and was wondering if the collection cup is the only part that should cleaned. I read that a slim will develop that is needed for the skimmer to work. should that slim be cleaned off?

Thanks

After time a thick dark green slime may develope. I clean mine every couple months, just rinse it out no scrubbing and I try to get that thick slime off.

I would not clean anything if it is not in plain sight why bother besides you may be washing away something you need. I've got a 125 thats been running for almost a year and never really cleaned anything but the glass and vac. the CC when i do a water change. No one goes around scrubbing the ocean do they? If you have ever been diving you'll know what im saying

Did not know the ocean had a skimmer on it :lol: There is nothing you need in a skimmer it is waste thats what a skimmer dose removes waste.
I Again I would not scrub it.

seaham358 said:
Did not know the ocean had a skimmer on it
Actually it does in a round about way. The waves that crash on the beachs and bluffs aid in removing DOC when the foam from the water is left behind. :wink:

I agree on not completely cleaning the entire skimmer housing but it's definately a good idea to soak the powerhead in a vinegar/water solution occassionally. It will greatly extend it's life and efficiency. Also be sure intake hoses or similar are cleaned monthly if possible. Dried salts and such will collect restricting air flow and reduce efficiency.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom