Should i be dosing iodine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just as the title says, should I? My lfs said I should

No. Doing regular water changes is all you need to do.
Chemistry And The Aquarium: Iodine in Marine Aquaria: Part I — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
I would strongly advise people to not try to maintain 0.06 ppm iodine using supplementation and a test kit.
Why you ask? Isn’t that what we do for most other chemicals of interest? Well, if we could easily and accurately determine the concentrations of the different forms of iodine in aquaria, then I would recommend doing just that. However, if you combine the complexities of having multiple iodine species present with the uncertainty of having hobbyists use very complex test kits that may readily yield incorrect or difficult to interpret results, the stage is set for people driving their total iodine to levels far from what they actually intended. I do not know what levels of iodide or iodate become apparently problematic to real aquaria, but the risk of overdosing in this fashion is not insignificant.

Antec said:
Just as the title says, should I? My lfs said I should

+1 Capt.

No reason to dose anything in low stock systems with regular water changes. Unless you have something using up large amount of iodine then i wouldn't even think about dosing it.

Back
Top Bottom