Should i be worried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
There seems to be some brown on my rock and some on the sand but just a few patches.

The tank just finished cycling a week ago and added 2 clowns 2 days ago
Am 0
Trites 0
Trates 0

image-607171588.jpg

Unfotunately, it's going to get worse. It's diatom algae, and it happens to almost every new tank, but it will go away after a while.... sometimes can take up to a few months. Diatoms feed on silicates in the new system, and will eventually go away once the food supply has run out.

So I haven't done anything wrong. That's good to know. I basically have to just let it run its course?

Good, just wanted to make sure you weren't using tap water. Just give the diatom some time..... it's likely to get ugly, but they will go away.

I can assume it won't harm the fish. Should I also wait before adding anything else till it clears up?

Don't have a cuc yet. Girlfriend wanted fish so we got fish.

I guess I look at reef cleaners and pick out a crew.

good time to invest in a turkey baster I use mine all the time to blow crap out of corals and to blow off rock / sand bed

I have tried but a create a sand storm every time I try to clean off any rock. I guess I don't have the touch yet.

Thanks for all the responses.

No you shouldn't it is in almost every new tank it will actually give good bacteria to your tank.

Ok so I know this is normal and i need to wait it out but my OCD is in over drive.

I just added the two clowns Saturday and I wanted to wait a month to add anything new.....but can I add a CUC now or is that a bad idea.

If it is a good idea what would everyone recommend the tank is a 29g.

Here is a picture and its annoying me more than you know

image-1411485514.jpg

I would go ahead and add a couple of helpers, just don't go too crazy or they'll have nothing to eat! A couple of snails, couple of crabs to start...

Back
Top Bottom