Should i clean filter or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again, my tank is close to a finish cycle "finally" but before I put in any fish or inverts, should I clean out the filter and or change the bio sponge? I have a cascade 700. I have it running when I first had everything set up, but 3 weeks later found out I had to start a cycle sigh, then for a month it was off and I turned back n when cycle was kinda getting close, so about 2 months total it has been running.

My question is.......

~should I clean out my filter before I out in any fish/inverts?

~should I Change the bio-sponge in the filter?

Thanks in advance.

I would rinse it in old tank water when you do your change to get nitrates down so the bacteria stays but the crap gets out.

Hi Prince

I asked a similar question recently.

I believe that BB live in the filter sponge. So, only rinse in tank water to clean, and only replace if it is torn, worn out, or otherwise not salvagable. Also, be sure to keep it wet, and don't let it dry out.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Packohotdogs said:
Hi Prince

I asked a similar question recently.

I believe that BB live in the filter sponge. So, only rinse in tank water to clean, and only replace if it is torn, worn out, or otherwise not salvagable. Also, be sure to keep it wet, and don't let it dry out.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

I have no nitrates and nitrites at all both at 0 ammonia is at 1pmm PH is also at 8.0
And ok thanks on the sponge advice.

Back
Top Bottom