Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should I do a 20% water change this evening like I was planning?

water test today shows ph between 8.2-8.4, Nitrite at 0, Ammonia between .25-.50 and nitrate between 5-10 but closer to 5.

Should I do a 20% water change this evening like I was planning?

Also,

Got my hands on a 30" 2 bulb T5 fixture today and purchased the bulbs...one is ultra sun and the other is ocean sun....tank is lit up like Broadway....not complaining as the fish look AMAZING. The question is this: Is this enough light to sustain anems?? I can't imagine being able to get it much brighter in there. Attaching pic so you can see (obviously it's brighter in person)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002_(4) (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	111795  

Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No that's not enough light. And youngish will most likely die because you didn't cycle the tank. You need to
Do water changed every single day to keep ammonia as close to 0 as possible. That's the only chance they'll have of surviving.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

water change every single day for how long??? a week, a month?? I'm testing daily so if the tests are ok, daily changes seem excessive...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tests aren't ok. Ammonia needs to he at 0 or your fishs hills are being burned. Same with nitrite. You need I cycle the tank, and you need to keep doing water changes every day until ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is <10.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeladawng View Post
water change every single day for how long??? a week, a month?? I'm testing daily so if the tests are ok, daily changes seem excessive...
I'm sorry but your tests aren't ok. Any level of ammonia or nitrite is toxic to fish. Until those levels are 0, you should be doing water changes daily.

As for lighting for an anemone, a 4 bulb is a minimum to supply enough light for them to survive. But they are really fragile and sensitive animals. It is recommended that you wait 6 months to even a year before putting one into a tank as any random change in parameters can lead to their demise. The death of a nem in a tank ends up being very toxic to tank inhabitants as well. Sorry to be rain on the parade :-/.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

guess I didn't say it right...I didn't mean that they are ok right now....I just did 25% change...will test again in an hour or so and again after work tomorrow....say I test tomorrow (Sat.) and ammonia level is back where it belongs, should I still change more water, or leave it be until I test again Sunday, Monday, Tues, etc.? That's what I meant by "seems excessive", wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. Nitrate was under 10, Nitrite was 0, and ammonia was .25-.50 before change.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ammonia and Nitrate came down overnight....amm is between 0 and .25 and nitrate is less than 5....another water change tonight after work and adding prime....been reading around here and looks like a really good product
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have to do water changes everyday until amm and nitrite are always 0. Test daily.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have the API test kit? Mine never reads 0 for ammonia. There is always a "hint" of green that would fall between 0 and .25 ppm. But my LFS tests it at 0. I have heard others report this as well about API. Something to consider.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Do you have the API test kit? Mine never reads 0 for ammonia. There is always a "hint" of green that would fall between 0 and .25 ppm. But my LFS tests it at 0. I have heard others report this as well about API. Something to consider.
Yeah, I've noticed that as well.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com