Should I do a 20% water change this evening like I was planning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
water test today shows ph between 8.2-8.4, Nitrite at 0, Ammonia between .25-.50 and nitrate between 5-10 but closer to 5.

Should I do a 20% water change this evening like I was planning?

Also,

Got my hands on a 30" 2 bulb T5 fixture today and purchased the bulbs...one is ultra sun and the other is ocean sun....tank is lit up like Broadway....not complaining as the fish look AMAZING. The question is this: Is this enough light to sustain anems?? I can't imagine being able to get it much brighter in there. Attaching pic so you can see (obviously it's brighter in person)

Attachments

• 002_(4) (1).jpg
    002_(4) (1).jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 94
No that's not enough light. And youngish will most likely die because you didn't cycle the tank. You need to
Do water changed every single day to keep ammonia as close to 0 as possible. That's the only chance they'll have of surviving.

water change every single day for how long??? a week, a month?? I'm testing daily so if the tests are ok, daily changes seem excessive...

The tests aren't ok. Ammonia needs to he at 0 or your fishs hills are being burned. Same with nitrite. You need I cycle the tank, and you need to keep doing water changes every day until ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is <10.

water change every single day for how long??? a week, a month?? I'm testing daily so if the tests are ok, daily changes seem excessive...

I'm sorry but your tests aren't ok. Any level of ammonia or nitrite is toxic to fish. Until those levels are 0, you should be doing water changes daily.

As for lighting for an anemone, a 4 bulb is a minimum to supply enough light for them to survive. But they are really fragile and sensitive animals. It is recommended that you wait 6 months to even a year before putting one into a tank as any random change in parameters can lead to their demise. The death of a nem in a tank ends up being very toxic to tank inhabitants as well. Sorry to be rain on the parade :-/.

guess I didn't say it right...I didn't mean that they are ok right now....I just did 25% change...will test again in an hour or so and again after work tomorrow....say I test tomorrow (Sat.) and ammonia level is back where it belongs, should I still change more water, or leave it be until I test again Sunday, Monday, Tues, etc.? That's what I meant by "seems excessive", wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. Nitrate was under 10, Nitrite was 0, and ammonia was .25-.50 before change.

Ammonia and Nitrate came down overnight....amm is between 0 and .25 and nitrate is less than 5....another water change tonight after work and adding prime....been reading around here and looks like a really good product

Do you have the API test kit? Mine never reads 0 for ammonia. There is always a "hint" of green that would fall between 0 and .25 ppm. But my LFS tests it at 0. I have heard others report this as well about API. Something to consider.

Ingy said:
Do you have the API test kit? Mine never reads 0 for ammonia. There is always a "hint" of green that would fall between 0 and .25 ppm. But my LFS tests it at 0. I have heard others report this as well about API. Something to consider.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well.

Back
Top Bottom